proposal: subdividing/faceloopcutting relative to rvk's

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

chimera

proposal: subdividing/faceloopcutting relative to rvk's

Post by chimera » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:18 pm

uey blenderers...

I had an idea yesterday, tried it at home and it didn't work (too bad).
would it be possible to modify the command "subdivide" or "faceloopcut" like the following.

http://files.blender3d.ch/sub_proposal.jpg

now an explanation... originally my idea was to model a face with very few vertices (no wrinkles, etc.).
then add facial expressions, like happiness, angriness, etc.
now I'd start to subdivide/faceloopcut, add details in the expressions that need some (like wrinkles for happiness).

the problem is... to realise this methode it'd need a tool like subdivide/faceloopcut where the new vertices would be automatically in place in all the rvk's. the example pic above is clearer than this explanation maybe.

I know the blendermeshdata is just a crowd and its not possible to do it like "re-subdivide" every rvk (cuz the new vertices would not have the same id everytime). but how about subdividing the basic key, remembering which vertices have been created and move them around for every rvk? maybe it'd be possible in python too...

its just another idea from my side... like it or not...
q'n'q welcome

ps: hopefully no spelling- / consideration-mistakes ;). case-insensitivity is aimed :P

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:47 pm

i have no idea about how to do it! i know this stuff from nurbs modeling and it would decent to have this things in blender mesh as well.

i remember somebody saying that wings3d mesh data is powerfull but slows down with dense objects a reason why blender has not this true wing3d mesh data but an imitation. but still you could use it temporarly and later export it into plain mesh data.

claas

chimera

Post by chimera » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:19 am

ya well... I hope there's a way without converting the meshdata. like I described, a descent way to do this... logging the old vertices (dont know if this is possible) and moving them in every vertexkey... relative to the current key.

chimera

Post by chimera » Sun May 02, 2004 11:26 am

is the idea that bad? well then... np

Zarf

Post by Zarf » Thu May 06, 2004 11:45 am

chimera wrote:is the idea that bad? well then... np
No, this is actually a *very* good idea and something that several other software packages provide. For purposes of this conversation I like to divide modelling operations into 2 categories: those that change the topology of your model and those that don't.

Those operations that change topology should almost always be performed relative to the already established morphs. Even extrusions should follow this rule if you are extruding based upon some value local to the topology of the model such as a face normal, as opposed to global coordinates.

Blender for the most part is 'topologically unaware'. However as long as all modelling functions change the vertex ID's in a predictable and consistent manner (no randomnization) there really shouldn't be a reason this can't be added. It just takes someone willing to code it :)

Cheers,
Zarf

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Thu May 06, 2004 1:37 pm

Samy problem with subdividing a boned mesh- The new verts dont have vert any vertgroups/weights.

chimera

Post by chimera » Fri May 07, 2004 6:31 pm

Zarf: I really do agree with you. The same with uv mapping... when you map your model too late, lets say you got a face with wrinkles, the amount of work increases enormous. so this is for me a real point to improve blender.