avi import in linux

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bog

avi import in linux

Post by bog »

Hello

Afther working around as a newbee doing all these grate tutorials that exists, I have finaly started on my own project....

What I want to do is to import a avi movie from my didital camcorder and into blender. But this jyst wont work. I have tried almost all the codecs that transcode supportet with no luck. (linux video codec transcoder program),

The only thing that worked was when i used raw encoding, but then the file got so big that my p4 2,4 Ghz couldent handel it.

So my question:

What codecs does Blender support for import of movie files?
What can I do with my file to get it supported?

Thanks

z3r0_d

Re: avi import in linux

Post by z3r0_d »

bog wrote:What codecs does Blender support for import of movie files?
avi raw and avi jpeg, except in windows (system codecs supported there)
bog wrote:What can I do with my file to get it supported?
run windows

also, see if you can export to a sequence of images in a format blender supports instead of raw avi because avi files max out at 2Gb (as do most files on 32bit operating systems)

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

If your using linux then Id recommend using Cinelerra for video editing.
Kino is supposed to be good for DV too, tho I havent used it.

Another option is running blender within Wine which runs surprisingly well (To get codec support)

It would be nice if blender supported more video formats through Xinelib os some other such library.

I dont know about the state of multiplatform video codecs but even if blender used quicktime as default it would be cool. OSX, Win32 both support quicktime and Linex has a quicktime lib that is made by the same ppl that wrote Cinelerra.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

ideasman wrote:I dont know about the state of multiplatform video codecs but even if blender used quicktime as default it would be cool. OSX, Win32 both support quicktime and Linex has a quicktime lib that is made by the same ppl that wrote Cinelerra.
The Windows and OS X versions of Blender can use quicktime - what do you mean by 'as default'?