UV editor needs improvements

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Roja

UV editor needs improvements

Post by Roja » Tue May 04, 2004 5:10 pm

Ok, this is one thing I use a lot, the uv editor, and it's obvious that it needs improvements:

1. The dotted lines, are they really necessary? If they are there just to "remind" you that you're in UV mode, I don't see a point to them. They're not nice to look at. Why can't they be just plain solid lines?-in the editor window AND on the model.

2. The model during uv face mode should have solid lines as well, and be solid(not see through). I think you should be able to select the modes wireframe, solid, textured, and NO EDGED FACES mode.
Right now, when I select wireframe, solid, or shaded mode, I get a completely white model which is good for nothing. In textured mode I get a see through model if I select all faces, which is very annoying and doesn't seem to serve any purpose either. The edged face/no edged face(wireframe showing on a solid/textured object), would be nice because A. sometimes you NEED to see that wireframe over the solid. and B. because sometimes you're tweaky the UV coords and you need to see EXACTLY how that model will look with no edges there, in textured mode. Whenever I want to tweak the uv coords, I have to deseletc in the uv editor AND in the 3d window, which gets annoying if you're doing details.

If those things are taken care of..Blender would have a GREAT uv editor.

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue May 04, 2004 5:13 pm

You'll get a see through model if your faces are single sided and your normals are facing the wrong way.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Roja

Post by Roja » Tue May 04, 2004 5:58 pm

I did not mean see though as in transparent on one side, and the texture showing on the other. I mean that when I am in textured mode, uv face select mode, the wireframe shows through. So if I'm looking at the front of my model, I also see the wire frame from the back of the model, which gets confusing.

My normals are going the right way too, btw, I did check.

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue May 04, 2004 6:05 pm

Ah yes, in that case, you are right. And I agree that back edge culling in this case would be neat too.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

blendix

Post by blendix » Tue May 04, 2004 7:56 pm

The dotted lines are used because some textures might be dark, some might be light, and you always want to see them. They are much more contrasting than a single color. I've tried some more visually pleasing possibilities (like XOR drawing), but in the end there was always some situation where the wires would be invisible.

Have you seen the new Draw Edges buttons in the UV Calculation panel in Blender 2.33? It can draw only the edges that are on top.

But generally, there is still much room for improvement in the drawing in Face Select mode. Wireframe, solid, shaded are basically not available in Face Select mode.

Having the ability to hide the selection lines seems like a good idea.

It was also thinking about using the same lights in Face Select "Shaded draw mode" as they are now in Object and Edit Mode, which would give some more depth to the models. (This can be done now by enabling Light in the Texture face buttons for all faces, and putting some lights in the scene).

Roja

Post by Roja » Tue May 04, 2004 8:23 pm

The dotted lines are used because some textures might be dark, some might be light, and you always want to see them. They are much more contrasting than a single color.
This problem can easily be fixed. First, it's not that big of a deal not being able to see some of the edges, why? because you can always select the vertices. Secondly, allow customized colors for the deseleceted/selected uv mesh in the uv editor. Problem solved. Of course, I'm not a programmer..so if there are technical difficulties that's another problem ;) However, I have used 3d max and maya quite a lot, with all kinds of texture colors, and I have NEVER had a problem with this even if i was unable to see the lines in some places-because I just selected the vertices, or changed the color of the lines!
Have you seen the new Draw Edges buttons in the UV Calculation panel in Blender 2.33? It can draw only the edges that are on top.
Acutally I'm not sure where that is...I only see Draw faces and draw shadow mesh in the UV editor under view.

blendix

Post by blendix » Tue May 04, 2004 8:57 pm

Roja wrote:
The dotted lines are used because some textures might be dark, some might be light, and you always want to see them. They are much more contrasting than a single color.
This problem can easily be fixed. First, it's not that big of a deal not being able to see some of the edges, why? because you can always select the vertices. Secondly, allow customized colors for the deseleceted/selected uv mesh in the uv editor. Problem solved. Of course, I'm not a programmer..so if there are technical difficulties that's another problem ;) However, I have used 3d max and maya quite a lot, with all kinds of texture colors, and I have NEVER had a problem with this even if i was unable to see the lines in some places-because I just selected the vertices, or changed the color of the lines!
Well, I think selections should always be visible, unless the user chooses to disable them explicitely. Even then it might lead to unexpected results (as the user will not know which faces are selected). Adding the theme colors for for this might be a good idea. But there's still a default value to choose.
Roja wrote:
Acutally I'm not sure where that is...I only see Draw faces and draw shadow mesh in the UV editor under view.
I assumed you are talking about the drawing in the 3D view? If so, then they are in the Edit Buttons, in the UV Calculation panel, which might be docked with the Texture face panel.

Roja

Post by Roja » Tue May 04, 2004 9:36 pm

blendix wrote: Well, I think selections should always be visible, unless the user chooses to disable them explicitely. Even then it might lead to unexpected results (as the user will not know which faces are selected).
Selections are always visible as long as you have them selected :D So i'm not sure what you mean here...maybe you misunderstood me. There's no way not to know what faces you have selected, if they are selected, because you see the selection.

kakapo

uv editor improvements

Post by kakapo » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:04 pm

yes, the dotted lines hurt in the eyes! please improve this!

a suggestion for the <uv/image editor> window: please add an option to repeat the displayed texture outside the 0..1 area. it would be helpful especially for texturing game levels with tiled textures.

coming from other 3d applications i also find it a bit strange that there is a separate <uv face select> mode in blender. why don't you just make the uv-tools available in <edit mode>?

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:49 pm

i worked out some missing features of the UV/ Image Editor too:

http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/#5