Removal of Blenders shell

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Monkeyboi

Removal of Blenders shell

Post by Monkeyboi »

Do we really need a shell for Blender?

What we use it for currently:

1, Rendering (being able to check what frame we are at out of how many when doing animations, as well as Yafray progress)

2, Bugs (it prints errors into the shell)

Anything else?

I find it somewhat irritating that Blender always opens up with the shell. I find it disturbing to have to look at it every time I want to check how far my Yafray rendering is going, and how many frames are left of my animation. Do we really need it? The rendering info could be printed in the Render window (see proposal here.), while error messages could be found by running Blender in debug mode. Any important messages could be properly integrated into the main program.

In my oppinion this sounds nicer. It would be a move to push Blender in the direction of an artists tool. But what do you think?

Cheers, -William

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

I think this is a Windows specific problem (main() vs. WinMain()??) - though I don't know it for sure. In my case I use KDE on Linux as GUI and can choose if I want to open Blender with console window or without it. Well, and I use it because it provides more info than without. An alternative would be in adding a console window in Blender. It's worth it when you are playing around with the game engine and debugging some script or something like that. A dialog popping up isn't just the same as watching all the stuff at runtime. So I for my part would leave it as it is. *shrugs*

Rui

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Good points. Actually my initial post sounds too biased. I am mostly interested in hearing if people find it nice/useful.

theeth

Post by theeth »

Having it replaced by an internal console would probably make both side happy.
I remember tuhopuu had a Console window at some point. Not sure what happened to it. It was probably just an experiementation.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

gabio

Post by gabio »

sadly, it think blender is build on this console.... look at GIMP it's the same. But for estetic a nive thing could be to intergrate it in the gui. i' not sure but i think wing work also with a console...

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

You could easely prototype this with a python script.

Harnak

Post by Harnak »

I would be in favor of removing it for Windows. The people that I've turned blender on to , love it but often find the "dos/cmd" window distracting and one of them have even said " What kind of an application still uses a dos box?" , I replied " A good one!! , you'll just get used to it" :lol:

It would be rather "clean" if the output was redirected somewhere else , and that somewhere else be viewable via the menu or a setting somewhere.

I've at many times wished I could see the frame being rendered, time , etc output to blender itself.

Just my thoughts,

Harnak

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

I think a part of the problem is that there is no easy (withouty making a plugin have a GUI) way to give users feedback through the interface, so they dont have to go and look in the terminal.

It would be nice to have a python hook to the error() function so python exeptions could be raised in the blender GUI.
a status bar might be nice too, is there a resion blender dosent have one? - suppose it does in a way- at the top right corner, and transform info is in the 3d view.
It would be good if there was a way to write to one of these in python.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

The only problem is that if the interface fails to come up properly, how are you going to read what's going on?

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

Automatically writing a crashlog?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Yeah, I suppose it would be nice if it did that! I'm really just thinking aloud here, it's not my first priority, but it's sad to see the expanded dependancy on the console with the Yafray integration. You shouldn't have to look at it.

(I suppose it might change with Yafray since it is still just a beta implementation)

solmax

Post by solmax »

theeth wrote:Having it replaced by an internal console would probably make both side happy.
I remember tuhopuu had a Console window at some point. Not sure what happened to it. It was probably just an experiementation.

Martin
i fully agree. i'd actually love to see python integrated, as seen in other major 3d packages - i.e., every action is being logged and displayed as py-commands. this would be very useful for macro-commands and user definable actions, as the right syntax is being displayed in the console. has anyone thought fo that?

marin

solmax

Post by solmax »

IoN_PuLse wrote:The only problem is that if the interface fails to come up properly, how are you going to read what's going on?
why? could be a tiny (text)window at the bottom, which can be pulled larger just like the info window. maybe resizing should be constrained to one-row increments, just for the beauty of it - half a row doesn't make much sense.

mcbridea

Post by mcbridea »

Wasn't this removed back when 1.80 came out, and then readded because too many people didn't like it.

mr_rob

Post by mr_rob »

Sometimes when I'm rendering a big animation, the main Blender window goes crazy and I couldn't see a thing for the world. But, the console window was just fine allowing me to see where my anim currently was.

Just my 2 cents.
Later,
Josh
:twisted: :twisted: