Rendering update enhancement- mockup.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

Rendering update enhancement- mockup.

Post by ideasman » Mon May 10, 2004 7:38 am

Hi, the renderer could be modified to update thsi way with no more CPU overhead (I think...)

It could be nice for previewing work because you could have a fair idea of the scene, lighting etc at a lower resolution, before the final set of Nth pixels was rendered.
It would just require you to render every, Nth Pixel Verticaly and horizontaly.
Mabe 4x3 Pixels to start with, them keep passing over the image filling every space between the existing pixeils, While the pixels dont have any renderd Pixels beside them they can expand to make bigger pixels hense the image being lower res.

This isnt a new idea of course, just think it would work well for blender, and could cancel preview renders erlier. Would be nice to at least be able to toggle this on and off
Any comments?

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Mon May 10, 2004 2:30 pm

what like the seq editor always doing a test render?, that would be sweet

neil

Post by neil » Mon May 10, 2004 7:05 pm

Does scanline rendering not have to work a line at a time? I don't know, I'm not a rendering expert. However even then you could do lines in a similar way, rendering every nth line.

Neil

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Mon May 10, 2004 7:10 pm

I think it would be cool if you could wheres the lines ran from, Top To Bottom, Right to Left, Left To Right or Bottom To Top. Because when im doing an detailed AO render with raytracing sumtimes i just wanna see one part first and decide if i wanna cancel the render.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

gloume

Post by gloume » Mon May 10, 2004 9:38 pm

leinad: why not use border rendering? http://www.blender.org/modules/document ... x7678.html (See the 'border' button)

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue May 11, 2004 3:38 am

leinad13 wrote:I think it would be cool if you could wheres the lines ran from, Top To Bottom, Right to Left, Left To Right or Bottom To Top. Because when im doing an detailed AO render with raytracing sumtimes i just wanna see one part first and decide if i wanna cancel the render.
Border rendering would be better for this, Shift+B to define a box in the camera view (and have border on)

But I still think there is a place for progressive res rendering- If blender became multithreded then it could have a realtime render that keeps renderig you scene as you work.0 Now THAT would be funky.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Fri May 14, 2004 2:57 am

another thread I already tried. and nice pic, I like it.

A prob is that the internal renderer would have to be directly optimised for this kind of thing, that is maybe doing different things and storing the data, like building the z-buffer once and then using that to speed up successive renders, and to keep all the models and data in the memory after one is finished to render the next, it would have to be more than changing the res, saving it, command line rendering from python, change res again, save, render, res, save, render. or maybe python, if it can change the scene resolution, could do this as a rudimentary form of the feature.

And it doesn't need to be multithreaded, see http://www.worley.com/fprime.html

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri May 14, 2004 5:04 am

SamAdam wrote:another thread I already tried. and nice pic, I like it.

A prob is that the internal renderer would have to be directly optimised for this kind of thing, that is maybe doing different things and storing the data, like building the z-buffer once and then using that to speed up successive renders, and to keep all the models and data in the memory after one is finished to render the next, it would have to be more than changing the res, saving it, command line rendering from python, change res again, save, render, res, save, render. or maybe python, if it can change the scene resolution, could do this as a rudimentary form of the feature.

And it doesn't need to be multithreaded, see http://www.worley.com/fprime.html
You bring up some good points tho Im not sure your correct about the multithreded bit.
FPrime would run in a seperate thread/process wouldent it?

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Sun May 16, 2004 5:35 pm

it can, but one does not need Hyper Threading or two procs to use it.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Mon May 17, 2004 12:34 am

SamAdam wrote:it can, but one does not need Hyper Threading or two procs to use it.
Of course, most OS's multithread on a single processor anyway (all OS's that blender runs on anyway.)

Its worth noting that blender runs slower with hyperthreading.
(Python/Rendering inparticular)

But if blender was to render externaly - Render while editing an object- It would need to be run in a seperate process.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Mon May 17, 2004 3:02 am

Render while editing an object
and that brings us into realtime rendering. Which would be incredible, but takes a lot of work to implement.