Really Really Really Simple Num Button request!!!!

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MacGyver

Really Really Really Simple Num Button request!!!!

Post by MacGyver »

This should be a breeze, and I can't see why it would be a bad thing.....

1. Have it when you Ctrl-LMB or Shift-LMB on the actual number, whatever number is in there is auto matically removed, and then the cursor is placed at the begining of the line.

2. When you click INSIDE a num button that is already "open" for editing, have the mouse button pick a new spot for the cursor, instead of kicking you out of the menu. Only have it kick you out when you click OUTSIDE of the num button.

I can't count the number of times where I would want a certain value like "2.5" for something, and the slider is already at "1.8246"

With the way it works now, Ctrl-Shift-Alt and LMB are all the same thing, and it would go something like this:

Click on num, type in "2.5" but oh wait you clicked in the wrong spot on those tiny buttons, and now you have "1.822.546" and you have to go and backspace or delete all the characters in front of the number you want, and then all the ones in back.

At the very easiest, you can click on the front of the line, type in the number and just hit delete a bunch of times, but that means you still have to delete the values, and if you click in the wrong spot, you have to reposition the cursor.

And then if you try to reposition the cursor to the front or to the end with the mouse, it kicks you out and you have to start over again.......

There would be TONS of less frustration in the world if you could just makes these changes to the way num buttons work.

It wouldn't affect people who don't want to use it(because LMB by iteself is the default, shift-lmb and ctrl-lmb are just copies of that command), but would make the world of blender a whole lot more user-friendly imho.

Thoughts?

How do you actually contact a coder about this sort of thing?

Goofster

Post by Goofster »

Once you're "in" a button, shift-backspace removes the entire text ;)
I remember when I found this out, it's a gift from the blendergods!

Roel

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

THANKS!!!!!

That does help quite a bit, but I'd still like to implement a shift/ctrl-LMB wiping, just because it cuts down even those two steps(selecting and deleting) into one instant one that you already have to do(click on the num button).

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

MacGyver wrote:THANKS!!!!!

That does help quite a bit, but I'd still like to implement a shift/ctrl-LMB wiping, just because it cuts down even those two steps(selecting and deleting) into one instant one that you already have to do(click on the num button).
no

because shift+lmb is the only way to put the cursor in some fields, regular left click will change the value (up or down depending on where)

shift+backspace ought to do it for you

Carrot.nl

Post by Carrot.nl »

Then make it a CTRL+SHIFT+LMB. This currently does the same as SHIFT+LMB.

Carrot.nl :wink:

ilac

Post by ilac »

With the mouse pointer over the required field just press Shift+Return followed by Shift+Backspace (no need to let go of shift in between)
In in one swift move you've cleared the field and never even had to click the LMB! :D :P

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

These are all good work arounds, but really why can't this just be implemented?

We have: LMB, Ctrl-LMB, Shift-LMB, and Ctrl-Shift LMB all doing pretty much the same thing, just entering a num button. Hell we could even use middle or right mouse button for these too.

I personally, and I think most blender guys, have their left hand hovering around ctrl-shift/ s/r/g area of the keyboard, and their right hand on the mouse.

So with your workaround, here is the moves required:

1. Move right hand mouse over to the num button.

2. Move right hand off mouse over to enter / backspace area and hit both of those key's.

3. Move right hand back over towards numpad to enter digits and hit enter.

If you are entering multiple values in different spots, this can get tiring really quick.

With this new method, it would be:

1. Ctrl-Click(hands are already on mouse and ctrl) on the numpad.

2. Enter in number.

Personally this would speed things up SOOO much for me, especially in the texturing/material phase, especially when dealing with really small/exact values that can't be gotten from the slider.

So if anyone of the programmers that has worked with the interface before reads this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this in!

Carrot.nl

Post by Carrot.nl »

My point exactly!

solmax

Post by solmax »

how about regular (on all OS'es) behavior of text input boxes? i mean selecting parts of it via dragging, copy/paste and stuff?? theses are basics (and obviously doable, as we can see in the text-window).

please think about it - the current implementation is very crude.

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Any work being done on this?

This is such a simple request, that I hear ALL THE TIME from people using other 3d packages.... They all complain about having to clear stuff before entering.

It seems very simple to code that a shift or ctrl click will clear the box, right?

Let's get this done for the next release!!!!

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

I agree... Blender has a few quirky interface components, that could be standardised while still keeping their time-saving features.

Selecting and entering basic text should be standard for any interface ( even for copying values between entry boxes ), this is a PITA at the moment in Blender.

Mal

halibut

Post by halibut »

malCanDo wrote: Selecting and entering basic text should be standard for any interface ( even for copying values between entry boxes ), this is a PITA at the moment in Blender.

Mal
CTRL+C over whilst hovering over a button. Then CTRL+V whilst hovering over the button you would like to copy the value in to.

Cubbie

Post by Cubbie »

CTRL+C over whilst hovering over a button. Then CTRL+V whilst hovering over the button you would like to copy the value in to.
Nice... didn't know that. :)

What I really miss, though, is navigating input fields with TAB and/or arrow keys, like when entering coordinates manually.

Blender way: Click, Move Hand to Keyboard, Enter Value, Move Hand to Mouse, Click, Move Hand to Keyboard, Enter Value, Move Hand to Mouse, Click, Move Hand to Keyboard, Enter Value, Move Hand to Mouse,

Easy way: Click, Move Hand to Keyboard, Enter Value, Hit down, Enter Value, Hit down, Enter Value

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Can this get put in by 2.37?!?!?!?!

This is still the #1 thing that bugs me most about blender and slows down my workflow the most, especially when trying to finetune textures, change materials or manually alter transform data.

PLEASE this should be really simple, can't anyone change?

gabio

Post by gabio »

Maybe it's now exacly you request, bu tuhopuu3 now have tab to next fild selection in field and maybe copy past... I suggest you to grab a copy in the testing build and see if that what you'r talking about.