Feature Request: Editing Subsurf Optimized Mesh

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

TorQ

Feature Request: Editing Subsurf Optimized Mesh

Post by TorQ »

The Subsurf Optimized view is nice but lacks a lot of possible useablity in its current implementation. Currently the little "whiskers" that extend from the mesh to the vertex makes viewing and editing in optimized very confusing. My proposal is that the vertex is drawn directly on the optimized subsurf mesh. Editing this way is currently available in Silo 1.22. Thanks.

TorQ

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

but surely that would mean moving the vertices position = problematic.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

Wha? Don't see what you mean.

TorQ

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

he means that the verts will be displayed on the mesh, inset to the supserf.
Yes like there moved but realy the verts would still be where they are ment to be, its more of an editing display thing

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

Ok. I see. Well its not really a problem. As it is when you are editing verts you are grabbing in random space. It would just take getting used to the fact that the verts are offset from where they appear not really a big deal. Try out the free version of Silo and see what I mean. If anything it code be coded that when you start moving a vertex it shows their "whiskers" and exact location.

Here is a video clip of Silo's implementation:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmandmc/tweak.zip

TorQ

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

That looks quite nice! It sure would make it easier to see what vertices affect what part of the mesh when transforming. If possible I'd be quite for it.

However people are used to subsurfs as a series of points where it interpolates betwen them and the points never lie on the line itselft. This woule be a step away from that, but since you could get the old functionality by switching Optimal off I suppose it would be ok.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

Yeah, as I said it might take getting used to but I feel this is the true power of subsurf optimized.

Torq

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

or you could just get nurbs, thats what they do, and they can be very powerful with the right program, now where is that nurbana code?

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

My proposal is that the vertex is drawn directly on the optimized subsurf mesh.
That's been on my mind for a while, but I didn't care to request it since I've had no luck so far:/
or you could just get nurbs
well, maybe we don't feel like using NURBS;) The workflow is quite different from subdivision modeling.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Dani

Post by Dani »

don't say that! some people still like nurbs! they are very powerful modelling tools!

Dani

sten

Post by sten »

hey folks :)

I have already addressed this idea towards Ton already when the 'Optimal' mode was added as feature, but since it is hard to fix to the current meshcode, it can only applied if meshcode was taken under some real recoding, but this might come, don't know when though, but we do have a developer/coder that might fix it, but everything must take the time, it is sad, but since no one gets paid coding for Blender, the coders code when they have time and efforts for it...

thanks for reading :)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Code: Select all

but everything must take the time
Hey, as long as it's being considered, I'm happy:) I've got time to wait, I'm only 28, and should have a good 50 years to go;) I'm just hoping it won't take that long :shock: Anyway, I think we're all grateful for the time the programmers spend to develop Blender on their free time. I wish I was a programmer so I could help out. I took a course in c++ a couple of years ago, but I'm afraid my knowledge don't extend beyond creating a simple calculator :? Ah, well..
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

Just wanted to bump an old feature request since we are again at B-Con 1. Ohhh PLLEEEEAAASEEE!! Got all my parts crossed! :)

TorQ

sten

Post by sten »

who knows? :D

since I read Ton's news from Siggraph it might happen, who knows? would be great ;)

/.Z