Enhancing OOPS, Tuhopuu Updated with python/oops accsess!

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Im going to try to impliment some of your simpler ideas.

The idea of clicking and dragging segments is nice.

Now I have added curved spline segments its going to be tricky to work out if the users mouse is over it.
(Well I dont know how to at least)

Im going to have a look at positioning based on x/y, x/z, y/z

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

I like it monkieboi.

Ill have a look at getting curved edges...
The previews are a way off by the sounds of it.

But Implimenting drag ind drop could be nice,

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

ideasman wrote:Now I have added curved spline segments its going to be tricky to work out if the users mouse is over it.
(Well I dont know how to at least)
Wavk, where are you? :) Wavk must have figured it out somehow when he made crafter - hopefully he should may be able to shed some light on the subject...

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

One way (I have seen used for vertex selection)
Is to render the curves into the backbuffer, each with a different colour.
And then see which the cursor is over.

Could use double line thickness so its not tooo pedantic.

There is ~16 possible million colours so your not going to run out :-).

Durr- I answered my own question, I dont know if its done this way in blender though.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Monkeyboi wrote:mockup:

Using the same widgets as the logic bricks you can assign/unassign datablocks with each other. These specific object datablocks don't have a mesh datablock on them, although this would typically be the case. Idea of preview for materials and textures displayed.
You can use the arrow to minimise or maximise the blocks which are now renameable.

Comments?
Your preveiw is nice but could you do some more detailed work?
Colours for each type :)?

Mabe the title and rename text box could be the same, seems a bit silly having 2.

Its interesting you use a sidways splines, I think this would actually be better cos the n you could use the horazontaly inclined bottom view that useually hold buttons.

It makes sense too because the blocks themselves are short and wide so less overlapping would occour.
Last edited by ideasman on Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

oh SNAP I'm getting excited!

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

ideasman wrote:
Monkeyboi wrote:mockup:

Using the same widgets as the logic bricks you can assign/unassign datablocks with each other. These specific object datablocks don't have a mesh datablock on them, although this would typically be the case. Idea of preview for materials and textures displayed.
You can use the arrow to minimise or maximise the blocks which are now renameable.

Comments?
Your preveiw is nice but could you do some more detailed work?
Colours for each type :)?

Mabe the title and rename text box could be the same, seems a bit silly having 2.

Its interesting you use a sidways splines, I think this would actually be better cos the n you could use the horazontaly inclined bottom view that useually hold buttons.

It makes sense too because the blocks themselves are short and wide so less overlapping would occour.

Did you ever play with WAvk's CRAFTER ? It worked just like this... But it was just for shaders. You would make a tree of cords and details of the material and attach them together, it would make a much more defined shader and would have room for extras to be inserted with out having to edit the GUI code.

The game engine could also use this method....

^v^

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

slight update:

I included a Mesh datablock being shared by two objects. Notice how each datablock has several output widgets. Each widget can have one datablock assigned to it, so for an object datablock there are five widgets, one for the parent (left side), one for the material, one for children (other objects), one for IPO and one for mesh/curve data.

Notice how the mesh datablock has a green widget on the right. This is because you can connect materials to mesh datablocks as well as object datablocks. So, the colours make sense.

It's actually not that different from the current system, notice how the datablocks get connected to different areas on the blocks:

ideasman wrote:Just added almost every keyboard function to OOPS.

join, erase, copy, copyLinked..... copyAttrib, MakeTrack clear track. to name a few.
How did you end up implementing delete then?
ideasman wrote:Your preveiw is nice but could you do some more detailed work?
Colours for each type ?
There are colours for each datablock type! What do you mean? Do you want wilder colours? I just basicly used the old colours in the mockup.

Yes, I agree. In apps with trees, it's usually sideways for these reasons.

EDIT: Oh, btw, I noticed you included selection of active objects in the Oops - very good! You are extremely fast. Keep up the good work.

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

I have made the oops splines ond points horizontaly based as well as using circular pixmaps....

Im so tempted to write an oops in python, it would be quite easy and I could probably have more fun with good looking GUI and It would just be easier then wading through sombody elses code.

With ob.sel = 1 its possible too..... hmmmm.... but then nobody would use it (Wouldent pother opening up a plugin)
May as well fix the built in OOPS.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

I urge you to work on the inbuilt OOPS, I doubt many people would bother to download an OOPS python script. Besides, you seem to be doing very well coding it! Anyway, whats to good of two competing OOPSes? One, good inbuilt one would rock.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Your right, Its just that the code is commented badly, and I have to make minor changes and recompile to understand whats going on.

Takes a while, and isnt that satisfying.

But its in the works.

- Cam

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Your work on Blender will make a great difference to users, including myself. After you are finished working on the OOPS, people will actually start to use it. Consider that great contribution.

As a Python scripts it would probably go fairly unnoticed.

Again, keep it up!

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver »

Finally!! thank you Ideasman. i am the first one who have requested that.

The monkeyboi's mockup isn't bad, maybe we don't reallly need a material's preview, Oops is a manager not an editor anyway if it is fast... why not

In fact the current Oops look is good (personaly i like it), adding a drag'n drop way (as said above) or again improve shuffle function (e.g.Avoid block superposition) would make Oops greater and will increase blender's workflow.

I'm wondering if we can redesign "group" function or extend it (just an idea),
maybe i have again some lacks in blender (certainly :) ) and then it exists already...
my idea is a way to group visually a bunch of object, but not necesseraly with or not linked data, and it will create - in Oops or future Outliner - a general block which you could extend or collapse in one block

like it: (sorry, it was done hyper quickly :) )

http://www.freewebs.com/stock-age/mockup.jpg

i hope you have understood.

Anyway keep it up IdeasMan!

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Hi coltseaver, I like your idea of grouping.

This would be a but different to what you are looking at but mabe it could work a bit like windows explorer folder view, where they can be collopsed or expanded.

You kinda have a point, I dont know if the oops realy needs to be pretyfied.
The Eyecandy factor is plesent but at the moment Im focusing on useability.

I had a go at making the linking splines colour gradient betheen the colours of selected objects, it looked nice and was an interesting exercise but actually didnt make it any easier to use.

Im thinking of making the oops boxes brighter colours because I think there too dull and this dosent difireentiate object types vert well.

Somthing I did a few days ago was make oops locations reflect oops locationsm, this worked okay but the pain in the arse problem occored where I was wanting global locations but getting local, (just like in python) Ill need to look into this.

Okay- Here are things I intend to do.
* Horizontal layout as opposed to vertical (little done)
* Add the ability to accsess object functions, join parent etc (mostly done)
* Drag and drop spline so as to be able to adjust linking and hierachy of parenting.
* Make any UI changes to make oops more user friendly. (spline curves?)
.....Id like to make it more obvious whick is the start and end of the line.
.....Mabe an arrow??, line thickness change? colour change?
* Improve oops placement and shuffle to take into account object hierachy.
* Display relevent object data, this could be a preview, or just a colour block showing the lamps colour for eg.
* Make oops accessable from python???. (why not???) stll wondering weather there is any point in this. mabe time could be spent better else where.

Anyway- back to me day job (where I use blender anyway)