Enhancing OOPS, Tuhopuu Updated with python/oops accsess!

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:50 pm

Good to know, good to know.

Even though the GFX card on my laptop probably don't support that.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:27 pm

I got AA Splines working, they are pretty but not that exciting.

If the AA edges of the floating panels work on your lappy then Id say the AA splines would too.

Another thing, I implimented my first feature! yay- that wasnt based too much on any others.

- A find function, selects all oops objects match some text in the search string, a bit like the find func in the text window, but it matchs all objects/oops boxes at once.

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:15 am

A find function, selects all oops objects match some text in the search string, a bit like the find func in the text window, but it matchs all objects/oops boxes at once.
fabulous!

We can improve that with a completion system, it can be useful when you don't know correctly the object name or even it isn't a memory problem (eheh), it could print a list of available objects are begining with letters which you typed... what d'you think?

yes i'm a shell addict :)

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:55 am

Blenders interface is good tho not 100% IMHO, but the workflow cound be imprived in some situations (as sighted above)

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:44 pm

what d'you mean Ideasman? i didn't understand. :/

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:18 am

Whoops, replied to wrong post-

ABout the autocompleation- It would have to bu imnplimented verry differently to how I have done the find menu, and would need to be like Numeric input in grab mode.

*Alt+A (Autofind/compleate) In OOps
*Text you type in will appier in the status bar (No keyshortucts will work here-)
*A you type each character the selection will be narrowed down to the objects that match the criteria
*Enter/Mouse click will leace Autocompleate Mode

Sound good????
The skills I learned in making the find menu will allow me to make the autocompleate fuhncion :-)

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:53 am

yes Ideasman, it's a pretty good way.

For blender's interface, yes it's obvious not 100% without crits, but in its look and its current workflow, it's simply great.
with an improved Oops and one usable Object manager, workflow would be almost irreproachable. (yes it's rather simplistic)

btw, i rely on you IdeasMan :)

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:48 am

coltseaver, Ill have a look at this sometime, I have about 8 blender projects running paralell, some are commercial. so I cant give OOPS the attention Id like to.

If your interested in coding OOPS features yourself its not that dificuled, Ind Id be happy to gove you a hand if you needed some help starting up (tho Im still very new)

- Cam

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks IdeasMan, but i can't really imply myself into blender's code for the moment (especially i'm not coder c/c++, and i'm just learning Python).
I have some "projects" in progress (not only blender) and others in my head,... it's a bad thing to want to make too several thingz in same time. Okay, it isn't so bad to try something if we can, but there it's an unknown ground for me thus i would be slower than one real coder who could do that in 6 lines :).

Now, i just give to you some modest ideas, if it can implemented quickly, it's good, if not...the life goes on...
Anyway find function wasn't really an emergency although you can already do that, it's good!.
I should think : the fitting has to be reworked (no block superposition, relative position, collapse/extend linked block etc..)

just...
i rely on you IdeasMan
Well, I've just said in a friendly way, to encourage you :)

cheers

tommy

Post by tommy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:49 pm

very interesting... i've been thinking of something quite similar to your idea for some time, and i've done a mockup as well, although i think your idea is much better. i was initially thinking about effects and modifiers to effects and i then noticed that if one wanted to assign an effect to multiple objects easily, something much like your idea would come in handy.

here's the link to a mockup of what i called the 'tree-editor':
(applogies: images are huge to avoid blurring...couldnt get the resampling filter to do the right thing)
http://www24.brinkster.com/casworld/ble ... editor.gif

i appologize in advance for a small digression on my part, but i just thought it might add to this discussion and demonstrate the potential usefulness of ideasman's concept.

before i start, i want to clarify two terms:
effect - cool stuff like particle effects, rigid/soft-body dynamics, and many others.
modifiers - things that modify the way objects created by an effect behave; such as gravity (directional/newtonian/etc.), wind (different types), drag, etc.

what i thought of was to make effects and modifiers work similarly to materials and textures, which in essence have the same relationship with eachother - a texture modifies the look of a material similar to the way a 'modifier' modifies the way an effect works.

the idea is fairly simple, but effective. another key function would be to not bind effects to one object like currently in blender, but to have them available to all objects, so that each object can inherit different effects for potential combinations of them. Another feature would be to have the ability to use plugins for effects and modifiers, much like for textures, each with their own set off settings-buttons.

this functionality would only reach its full potential if ideasman's OOPS-window revision would be implemented.

here are mockups for the FX and Modifier buttons, respectively:

@ner

Post by @ner » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:03 pm

I have a question for you tommy that may not be relevant to the subject (I don't have the feeling to read all of this stuff :lol: so shoot me) I've liked the effects you showd there... will they be in blender? are they in some sort of blender build now? or are they only imagined? (except for soft boddy and all of those that are shoen in the test builds forum).

Pardon me in advance ladies & gentelmans - it's just looks a blast. :D

tommy

Post by tommy » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:55 am

@ner wrote:I have a question for you tommy that may not be relevant to the subject (I don't have the feeling to read all of this stuff :lol: so shoot me) I've liked the effects you showd there... will they be in blender? are they in some sort of blender build now? or are they only imagined? (except for soft boddy and all of those that are shoen in the test builds forum).

Pardon me in advance ladies & gentelmans - it's just looks a blast. :D

everything i posted are mockups, its just an idea i had and i did illustrations in corel draw to make it easier to understand what im going on about.

chimera

Post by chimera » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:55 am

uey guys. the patch didnt work for me. in blenderroot I did a

Code: Select all

patch <oopsenhanced.ideasman.patch
now this didnt work! the result was some error on line 9, but I didnt find any... I used yesterdays cvssnapshot

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:41 am

Im still tinkering with oops (but have been side tracked by other parts of blender) - Use Tuhoppu, it has oops enhancements applied to it and Ill commit any half decent changes I make.

- Cam

chimera

Post by chimera » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:58 am

@ideasman:
thx. well I did compile tuhopuu but didnt think of having a look at it ;). well then... gonna check it out this evening