textured models Blender <-> 3DSmax

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

falkonen

textured models Blender <-> 3DSmax

Post by falkonen »

I am new to Blender, so my question might seem stupid.
But did anyone ever exported a textured object (without loosing texture coordinates) from Blender to 3DSmax or the other way around?
And if yes, how did You do it ?
:?: :?: :?:

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

I have taken 100's mabe 1000's of turbosquid models from 3dsMax into Blender.

I wrote my own ASE importer for blender- It works well but isnt ready for distrobution since it rely's on file naming conventions.

Id try VRML if I were you-

LeHomard

Post by LeHomard »

I've been using the 3ds file format and it works fine.
You can get the 3ds import/export scripts on the Blender3d.org site.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Yeah, 3ds is okay, but Id didnt apply some matrix rotations from the .max file when it was imported.

ASE Has verts alredy applied in there matrix that wasnt a problem.

falkonen

Post by falkonen »

Thanx for the reply!!!
We tried 3DS and also VRML, but we always lost the texture coordinates during the transfer.
Maybe we did something wrong ...
I'll try it again ...

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

The VRML importer for blender is being worked on.

Im tempted to modify my ASE importer to make it read VRML files.... but Ill wait and see.

solmax

Post by solmax »

try .OBJ as exchange format. there is a obj exporter for max, and a obj importer script for blender.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Try OBJ, but if the object user UV images Im not sure if it will work, my OBJ importer will read UV mapping and set materials but it dosent import images.

If the object has 1-5 images its no problem but some models have 80+ images so image import is needed too.

oin

Post by oin »

yup, it loads fine. Just that, need to assign the texture(let the material in "UV", not "ORCO") only if you did not exported with a good OBJ exporter, I mean, if your other 3d package exports also the *.mtl file, your done. The model will appear with the texture attached. (I tested with latest OBJ script posted very recently)

habware.at has got OBJ import export plugins (yet though the max4-5 exporter made some weird things to me when was at job) for max4/5 and max 6

it's habware.at/duck4.htm and habware.at/duck6.htm if I remember well.

OBJ is very good for static models, objects.

Yet though..I supose is not the importer, but Blender which ... the obj imported shows an ugly black spot, usually produced by normals, inverted ones, too near walls, excessive "bland" smooth shading, etc...But this model shows perfect in a huge load of modelling and viewing tools I load it in.... So I am convinced is Blender...or the importer...

The model with this plugin comes in flat, unsmoothed, so I just hit "set smooth" to get it back, but with autosmooth off, as it always gets too much creases, no matter the value put (at other packages, 75º or 80º would leave no creases...)

rendered pic (the unwanted/unexpected black area is at the lips, mouth)

just in solid viewport

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Try recalc normals outside.... IF you give me the OBJ I can test it with the Importer Jiri and myself have been working on.

Blender dosent handle custom normals well at all so the normal data from the obj is ignored.

falkonen

Post by falkonen »

Thank You all!

The obj stuff sounds promising.
I'll try that at the weekend, and then tell You what happened ...

oin

Post by oin »

I already tested your plugin, the latest one you both were building. I mean, I did saw it worked well with mtl and all.

with "no v. normal fliipping" pressed, the problem dissapears in what is render...

wait...it also dissapears in solid view, in th eblender viewport..other darkened areas also dissapear...(in between hair and face was black where it shoudlnt, also...)

Seems that function does no good things to the mesh, and when the button keep pressed, the model is seen good in viewport and render! :)
Nice find...Though I'm a bit afraid..as all what I do is mostly real time 3d stuff..I need normals to keep good values... Well, I'll be able to fix in Ultimate Unwrap, or whatever, even with bones and weights, no problem.

BTW, the model is open source (and wildly shared) so I have usually a link, though is not always there...yes it is. I think I have solved now the prob, but grab it if you want to see if there's some issue with the plugin, which I don't think it is.

it is here
sorry I have in 7z format, the open source decompressor is at www.7-zip.org