What happened to STL import/export?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mzungu

What happened to STL import/export?

Post by mzungu »

All,

Forgive me if I've missed it, but wasn't there supposed to be STL import and export in 2.33?
Quote from 2.33 changelog under the "Interface" section:
" Fileformats
STL (stereolithography) file format added, reads ASCII and binary, writes binary. Works for meshes only, and 'displistmesh' when subsurf is on."

???

It may be there, but I can't find it (its not showing up in the file menu...) Any thots?

-mzungu

theeth

Post by theeth »

File -> Export Selected -> STL...

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

mzungu

Post by mzungu »

theeth wrote:File -> Export Selected -> STL...

Martin
Yes, I've played with the export option, but...

What about importing models into blender? Then changelog mentioned reading and writing... is there a trick to it that I'm missing?

I'm really interested in getting my SolidWorks models into blender to run visualization renders and animations. I've played some with VRML but with little success. My only recourse at present is to export ACIS to AutoCAD then 3DS to blender. I just want to skip the AutoCAD step if I can...

BTW, when I exported a model from blender and imported into SolidWorks (using STL format) the model appears all black in the OGL view of SolidWorks... like the normals are flipped or something... don't know if its a bug or what... just an FYI to shoot out there.

TIA for any thots/help!
-mzungu

mzungu

Post by mzungu »

Okay, nevermind, all... :oops: I've got it working... just using the regular "open" command and selecting the .stl (or .wrl) file simply imports the data into blender. Its kind of a shame that these things have to be experimented with (and agonized over :? ) before finally stumbling upon the right way to do it. Still lots of usability/documenting tweaks to work on, I guess. Thanks, anyway!

-mzungu

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

In 2.34 it will be under the Import menu. Broken thankfully changed it in CVS.

mzungu

Post by mzungu »

Monkeyboi wrote:In 2.34 it will be under the Import menu. Broken thankfully changed it in CVS.
Good to know!

Just another quick "notice" to the coder/implementer of the STL stuff: There seems to be some discrepancy in the binary file versions of the STL implementation and that of SolidWorks'. When trying to import a binary STL into SolidWorks (I mentioned this earlier) there is an error stating "A facet normal problem was found with one of the facets in the file. Please check the STL file." and the imported data appears solid black in the display, no matter what is done (such as switching to wireframe mode) The data cannot be operated upon in any other way, also.

Likewise, when trying to open a binary STL created by SolidWorks in blender, there is an error shown saying "ERROR: Bad normal line!" Note that ASCII STL files created by SolidWorks open fine in blender.

This may just be a problem with the SolidWorks implementation, but just wanted to tell about it just in case.

I'm conveying this info just to help out... I'm not at all flaming/complaining. The ASCII import thing was all I was really after for the moment, and that works like a charm. Hope this helps in some way!

-mzungu