Feature request: relative filenames for linked .blend files

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jorrit

Feature request: relative filenames for linked .blend files

Post by jorrit »

Hi all,

As far as I understand it it seems that when you link two .blend files, then the path to the linked .blend file is stored hardcoded and fully qualified (i.e. like this: c:\bla\library.blend).

This is VERY annoying for me. I'm trying to setup a distributed blender project where there is one master .blend file and then several libraries which can be used by other people. But if they have to use the same dir structure as I am using then that's very annoying (also impossible on linux if you can't write to the root folder of your HD).

So would it be possible to have a way to specify the path to a library relative to the file that is linking it? That way one can easily move around the .blend files. I believe that for image files this is already working like that.

Greetings,

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

we have discussed this already, i have encountered the same problem as you. I solved them partially just by making the project in the root directory. but this doesn't work much, as you said>
also impossible on linux if you can't write to the root folder of your HD
also, the linking of files, which have also some linked files in them, makes problems.

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=3237