Break vertices option would be nice

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Roja

Break vertices option would be nice

Post by Roja »

I think it would be great to have an option to "Break" vertices apart.

Say you have 2 planes, and they are connected at 1 corner. If you wanted to easily make 2 separate planes from them you'd select that corner vertex and choose "break", then it would create 2 separate vertices, and thus 2 separate planes. Or just make Split(Y) do this...I don't understand why it doesn't in fact. When I tried this using split all I got was an extra floating vertex.

theeth

Post by theeth »

The split function splits what is currently selected from the rest. In your example, just select one of the face and split (Y) it.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

solmax

Post by solmax »

you're right martin, however you need two extra steps to "repair" your mesh again, i.e. offset the desired vertex and then run "remove doubles" on the rest. not a big deal, but i agree with roja that this would make life a bit easier. it could be simply an option for the split command - using a submenu.

theeth

Post by theeth »

I didn't quite say that a "break" function would be useful, I was just explaining what split did precisely.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

dante

Post by dante »

Does JMS have a script that does this? I havent tried it so i dont know if it does what i think it doesn. I think the one im thinking of is called unweld...

Yeah, I like this feature would be useful too.

Dani

Post by Dani »

indeed, JMS wrote the unweld script... does quite some things... breaks a vert, bevels a vert etc...
I think it's included with blender now no?

Dani