Different Textures

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

chris[RoT]

Different Textures

Post by chris[RoT] »

hi there! could anybody tell me how to use different textures in one "world"? I have different objects in my room, but when I change a texture every object has that one. i've already tried to seperate the objects from each other, but this wont help, and sometimes its just a small area that need another picture, for example eyes....

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

k, here goes

the world, a material, and lamps all use textures

in the texture window you can choose which the textures are applied to

for meshes, materials are used

world settings affect the background, and for the most part act the same as the material buttons

lamp settings affect the lamp, and for the most part act the same as the material buttons

now, each mesh can have up to 16 materials. You add new material indicies in the edit buttons with the buttons on the "Link And materials" tab. the text "1 Mat 1" means that material 1 of 1 is currently selected. pressing new will add a new material index, to add a new material to that index go into the material buttons and choose that index, then add a new material to that index by making a duplicate of the current material by clicking on the button with the number of users of the material, or by selecting another material.
http://www.blender.org/modules/document ... x4272.html

you need to read the docs
http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/

chris[RoT]

Post by chris[RoT] »

I followed your instructions and read the documentation about multipile materials, but the texture still wont change. i have selected 2 mat 2 und made single user, now there are two different materials on my object with two different textures, but this don't seems to make any different..

ada89

Post by ada89 »

Have you try 'map to' hori, zenup etc. for the texture at the world button?

chris[RoT]

Post by chris[RoT] »

i vorgot the assign button... that was the problem.. thanks for your time :)

reed

Post by reed »

In Blender, an "object" links to a Materials. Each material links to one or more Texture. Each of these things has a name, and each of these things may be shared (e.g. two materials may each link to the same Texture).

It is also possible for an object to link to more than one Material, this is done by creating vertex groups, and associating a "material index" with each group. This is what that mysterious "1 Mat 1" control is for. The above information is for putting different materials on the same object.

If you simply want one material per object, with one or more textures per material, it's easy: select an object, then open the material window (red sphere button), and select "Add New" from the dropdown menu of material names: this menu is is the second pane (labeled "Material"), and the names start with "MA:"-- you probably have "MA:Material" selected. To give another object a different material, first select that object, and repeat the procedure. To link textures to a material, you use the last pane in the materials window: each row is a "slot" for a texture layer. Use "Add New" to create a new texture or use the little menu beneath that button to share a texture with another material. With a texture layer selected in that "textures" pane, go over to the texture window (leopard print button) to edit it.