More tha 4 vertices polygons.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cyb

More tha 4 vertices polygons.

Post by cyb » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:40 pm

Is there any info about more tha 4 vertices polygons implementation ? Sometimes it is critical. Any idea when it will be added ?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:39 pm

implementations?

there are many ways to store meshes if that is what you mean, and the debate of winged edges versus no winged edges didn't seem to be decided

so, 5+ edged faces will probably not be implemented into blender for some time. Perhaps you should use wings3d for modeling in the mean time

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:19 am

I do low poly modeling and find that there is no need for NGons once your used to it.

cyb

Post by cyb » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:12 pm

it is not only problem of modeling, but also importing meshes. When you import meshes with polygons containing more than 4 vertices you get holes. It is not good. And as I alvays say - you can get used to anything, but if you can improve something, why not do it ? Why we don't use notepad for modeling ?

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:17 pm

cyb wrote:it is not only problem of modeling, but also importing meshes. When you import meshes with polygons containing more than 4 vertices you get holes. It is not good.
Just triangulate the model before exporting, or ask the author of the export script to add triangulation of ngons in his script.
It's as easy as that.

Martin
PS: About the funny notepad comment, a lot of POVRAY scenes were/are typed in a text editor, does that make them any less good?
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

cyb

Post by cyb » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:31 pm

Teeth. You know that this not meaning of what I sad. I admire what they did tiping, but why they try to connect povray to some modeler ? Becouse they want to make their lives easier. Why now we have color picker, is it so hard to type color ? No. But this makes work easier. Why when I have a circle, to make face based on that circle I cannot select vertices, and press Fkey once ? It is all about making live easier. Is this something bad ?

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:36 pm

I was just pulling your leg :P

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:50 pm

Have any of you who reject ngons actually worked with them? I'm curious, because I find them quite essential for modeling, yet there are a fair number of people here who seems to be against them. They really make certain things much much easier and faster to create.

I have used them in Softimage XSI (which supports open meshes) and Wings 3D (closed meshes only). If this functionality is added it makes sence to keep supoprt for open meshes, though I don't know how easy it would be to acomplish a winged edge style structure without adding these limitations, although Softimage managed to get it right.

cyb

Post by cyb » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:19 pm

XSI is not the only one soft, that support open meshes with ngons. Old 3dstudio 3 had support for this (max ofcourse have it too). Maya as well. I dont know about LW but I suppose too. I have no idea how difficult it will be to implement it into blender, but it will be very useful.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:53 pm

I've used n-gons in applications that supported them. In general, I avoid n-gons and tris while modelling, and add a few tris while detailing. I'm not 'against' n-gons, just for me they are a lower priority improvement ( lower than creased edges, for instance, or perhaps some animation related improvements )
But if someone wants to do n-gon support that would be cool, too.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:03 pm

LW does NGONS, I find them an issue beacuse somewhere allong the line its has to be triangulated to display in the gfx card.

NGons are just a way of displaying/working with many tri's (Is this right??)

I do low poly stuff so I prefer to know whats going on with my mesh, I want cntrol over how an area is split into tri's and not have the software split the ngon on export.

I think blender could have some features added that make working with it more like NGons. like selecting co-planed faces...