dotXSI exporter?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Merlot

dotXSI exporter?

Post by Merlot » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:37 am

Hi, I may need a dotXSI 3 (Softimage XSI 4.0) file format exporter for a possible job I've got coming up.

I have searched the forums here and on Google, but I can't find one. Does anyone know if one exists?

If there is not one available it would be worth my while paying for someone to code one for me, it would definitely be cheaper than buying softimage. I believe the dotXSI format is ascii based and the specs are on the XSI website and I also found some info here http://www.bzuniverse.com/~fish.xsi/xsi.htm

The job is still only a quote at this stage so don't do anything yet, but it would be good to get an idea of how hard people think it would be/how much it would cost. I believe dotXSI is also used for game modding a lot, an exporter might be used by that community as well?

Thanks
I'm confused.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:26 am

xsi can import OBJ, you can find OBJ import/export scripts both here and on elysiun.com

if you need more than models to come from blender perhaps you should learn to use XSI

I've not heard of "dotXSI" btw [it sounds like their community website]

[xsi has a free version of xsi 3.0 called XSI|EXP which you can download now but iirc the license doesn't allow comercial use and the only export formats that I know it will have will be for half life 2]

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:54 am

If you go and find the dotXSI specs sombody might write an exporter.

OBJ is okay though it dosent store vert colours (VRML does)

get xsi and have a look at the I/O features it has.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:06 pm

ideasman,

I found a toolkit for dotXSI

http://www.softimage.com/products/pipeline/ftk/v362/

it includes a reference implementation sample code, sample files, etc

I don't need it, but is someone else does - there is the info

LetterRip

kniffo

Post by kniffo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:18 pm

OK, do you really need that?

At the moment I am geting into the SDK for Softimage and I am looking for some blender project to participate but I've never done any Python, only C/C++... hmm