Ctrl+A improvement suggestion

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Roja

Ctrl+A improvement suggestion

Post by Roja »

Ctrl+A, applies size and rotation..but what about translation?
I think it would be nice if, when you press ctrl+a a small drop down menu appears with the options: All, Rotation, Scale, Translate. That way you could choose what you want to set.

The reason I brought this up is because I have an exporter for my game format, and when it exports it will export the object in it's default object position. So if I move the obj in obj mode, and then press alt+g, s, or r, the obj will move back to it's default spot, and THAT is where the exporter exports the object from.
To work around this I have to only move the vertices in edit mode, so it's not a big deal..however I really don't understand why translate was not added to ctrl+a in the first place.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

wouldn't that just move the object center to the origin of the coordinate system?

you could already do the application of the translation and stuff using python [by applying the deformation matrix to the locations of the verticies, which is easier than it sounds]

Roja

Post by Roja »

hm, well I dont know how to use python at all...but seriously, why is translation not included in ctrl+A right now?

theeth

Post by theeth »

Because the function is called Apply Size/Rot, not Apply Size/Rot/Loc. Moreover, applying loc is trivial, just put the cursor at the origin and use the Center Cursor function.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Roja

Post by Roja »

yes of course it's simple to do, but if you read my above post...well basically something in blender makes a default translation/scale/rotation value. And if you ever need to change that value, the only way I have figured out to do it is to fake it by moving the vertices away from the point of origin of the object.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

this is a terrible idea
the last thing I want when I press ctrl-A is for the origin to move. Please don't do it! or if you do make a way to turn it off- It'll seriously encumber workflow.

Roja

Post by Roja »

Then why would you want scale & rotation to move? Perhaps I miss the whole point of when ctrl+a is really used. I was just looking at it from my perspective.
So when and why do you actually use it?

xand

Post by xand »

when you work on your mesh in editmode and objectmode wtih scale and rotation, at the end you have an object with silly value in the N panel.
to continue work efficiently, you may need to initialize these values. so ctrl+A.

+++

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

sometimes having a 'residual' unwanted transformation on the object (scale rot) makes undesireable effects, when animating for instance. So you apply these values, since they represent the 'base' object and not a transient transform. However, one does not usually in this case want to move the center of the object relative to its geometry, which "applying transformation" would entail- moving the center to the coordinate center. It might from a mathematical purist perspective make sense, but it makes no sense in terms of workflow.