I have some time to code, pick what I should implement

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

GreyBeard

I have some time to code, pick what I should implement

Post by GreyBeard »

I have some free time to code. I thought that I might try to impliment one or two of the following.

a) change the way ctrl-numpad-plus and ctrl-numpad-minus work. Right now if I have a vertex selected and press ctrl-numpad-plus I get a cross shaped pattern of verts. You almost always wish all the surrounding verts. The same occours with faces. This is a pet peeve of mine.

b) draw the edges in UV Face Select mode so you can see what your selecting. I never understood the reason for the current solid white.

c) add the ability to have more than one background picture in a 3d window. By this I mean show the side view pic when your in side view, front view pic when your in front view etc.

My questions:
Would anyone have any objections to the above changes?
Which ones would you like to see implemented most?
How do I find out if someone else is working on any of these? Is anybody coordinating?

No guarantees -- I chose the above because I felt they probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement but I have been wrong before :D

macouno

Post by macouno »

I think C would be a very helpfull option in some cases. And probably not hard to code.

theeth

Post by theeth »

The structure for C is already there, it's just not implemented in the interface and in the drawing code.

Go ahead I'd say :)

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen »

I'm torn between B and C but since I usually use Vertex groups for face selection I'll say C.

wavk

Post by wavk »

I'd go for b. It would go nice with the new uv tools! And it's the area that needs desperate attention... The others are nice features, but this is something that really needs fixing.

C is nice too. I personally never use the ctrl+numpad plus/minus.

blendix

Re: I have some time to code, pick what I should implement

Post by blendix »

GreyBeard wrote:b) draw the edges in UV Face Select mode so you can see what your selecting. I never understood the reason for the current solid white.
There are Draw Edges and Draw Hidden Edges options in 2.34, in the UV Calculation panel.

C seems like a usefulfeature.

GreyBeard

Post by GreyBeard »

Yes, I just noticed B (draw edges in face select mode) was already implemented in the bf-blender CVS I compiled. :D

I must say that the build process has improved considerably since the last time I did it (some version before the new interface -- took me a whole weekend). I couldn't get scons to work with python 2.3 (a distutils problem) so I used 2.2 which worked fine.

It appears that more people want C than A so I'll work on the bakground pics first.

GreyBeard

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

I think the background pic option could be removed by making it possible to force drawing of UV images on particular objects and also that they are always behind everything else.

Force UV Image draw.
Always at Back-

And you wouldent need background images (would need to make UV textures animate to compleately replace the need for bg images.)

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

I would have to go with -C-. I have aways wanted this feature in Blender.