added knife/loop cut idea?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

macouno

Post by macouno » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:28 pm

So yes... I see madmen. Basicly we have 2 ideas now.

One where you use a mesh as a cookie cutter on another mesh, where the edges in the mesh which is used as the cutter act like the drawn line in the knife tool upon the mesh to be cut. The result is subdivided edges where the cutter mesh's edges intersect the mesh which is cut.

Two where during mesh edit selected intersecting edges are subdivided at the intersection point according to view. (not a cookie cutter but still a valid idea I think, and the feature that I personally still need most.)

One thing I think one has to be carefull about is that in both ideas only existing edges and faces are subdivided and no new faces are created (not counting faces that exist but have to be subdivided to connect correctly to the new verticles).

Martin: Cookie cutter... lol... Nice one!!!

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:35 pm

macouno wrote:Two where during mesh edit selected intersecting edges are subdivided at the intersection point according to view. (not a cookie cutter but still a valid idea I think, and the feature that I personally still need most.)
This one could fit in the edge tools I've been working on for tuhopuu. Right now, there's Trim edge to edge and Trim edge to face, but a Cut edge to edge and Cut edge to Face would probably be just as easy reusing the same code and poping in the subdivide function.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

macouno

Post by macouno » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:41 pm

Great!!! Let us know if and when that becomes available will you??? That would be a lifesaver!!! Not kidding!!!

If you wonder what I'd use it for... I'm making a heap of "islamic" tile patterns like the one I'm posting here, and blender is already excellent at it... but with this function it'd be lovely ;)

An added thought... it would be grand if the cookie cutter would also allow for curves to be used as cutters... though of course you can always convert to a mesh before using it. But if it's a curve it would be easier to just keep it as such and perhaps use it, change it then use it again... that sort of thing.

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:47 pm

macouno wrote:Great!!! Let us know if and when that becomes available will you??? That would be a lifesaver!!! Not kidding!!!

An added thought... it would be grand if the cookie cutter would also allow for curves to be used as cutters... though of course you can always convert to a mesh before using it. But if it's a curve it would be easier to just keep it as such and perhaps use it, change it then use it again... that sort of thing.
And my lifesaver is the cookie cutter so if that can be added as well that would be great. But yes the cookie cutter should accept closed object (circles, planes, etc.) but also allow for open objects (like a curve).

tuinbels

Post by tuinbels » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, :)
FourMadMen wrote: And my lifesaver is the cookie cutter so if that can be added as well that would be great. But yes the cookie cutter should accept closed object (circles, planes, etc.) but also allow for open objects (like a curve).
Don't know how difficult it is to use curves and open objects as cutter, but I'll give it a try...

greetings,

Wim

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:57 am

Cool, Thanks. If it's any help (for they way I'd use it) the start and ending vertices would not be "inside" the mesh. In other words a curve would be used to cut out a curve shaped chunk.

macouno

Post by macouno » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:18 pm

Well... that doesn't seem like something to do in programming... maybe it would work in your specific case, but it would make the function slightly odd for a lot of people. And I don't think end points would be such an issue would they?

tuinbels

Post by tuinbels » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:43 pm

Hi,

I just added support for closed Bezier curves, wasn't too difficult after all :)

I wanted to add open curves but there is no method in the API (yet) that can determine if a curve is open or closed...

Script is here

There are still bugs, so please check the new mesh after cutting it...

Oh yes, and the name has changed to Cookie Cutter, thanks to Theeth. :D

Greetings,

Wim

macouno

Post by macouno » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:01 pm

Great!!

I'll be testing your script but have a hectic week so it may be a while till I get back to you ;)