Send Object to a Position in Scene.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JA-forreal

Send Object to a Position in Scene.

Post by JA-forreal »

I was thinking of more ways to improve the Blender workflow speed. I came up with an idea to place Empties or another object at specific points in your scene. Then these points would be saved as points of positional reference. Later on we could model an object and select it them Crtl+L and link the object to a scene as normal but this time around another drop down box gives us more options to send the objects axis point to a position in the scene at the saved points of positional reference. Now these save points could be named and numbered like mesh groups. I thought that this could be useful for sending objects to any position in a scene quickly. If this feature is added it will really speed up our productions in Blender.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Select your two objects,
Object -> Copy Attributes -> Location (Ctrl C)

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

broken wrote:Select your two objects,
Object -> Copy Attributes -> Location (Ctrl C)
I know, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

I work with city sets and various scenes. I would like to arrange objects in these scenes without opening scene to do so. If this feature was in place I would prepare my scenes with say named position points for street lights on street corners. Say I haven't finalized the exact type of street light that will be placed on each corner. But I know where I want to position them in say "street scene D" and I have prepared saved positions for these lights in this scene.

Now I have decided which street lamp to model and place it at the base scene with all of the other objects that will be linked to street scenes A-D. I select the light and click Crtl-L and link it to the positions in "street scene D". I know that the light is the right size, etc. because I modeled it to fit the general scale of all my scenes. I know that the axis is right, the light is facing out to the street, and it matches the axis of the saved position point. I would then just batch render the scenes after I make some global adjustments, etc. Then I see the scene plus lights later at compositing time it looks cool. Maybe I want to change the light to another type for another street scene render later. I would follow the same process with the confidence that my objects would be placed exactly where I sent them without having to open all of my scenes to check the positions.

I often work with more than one scene. A feature like this would really make a difference in my scene setups. I think that it would make a difference in the scene setup for most Blender users.

Blend on!

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Hm, I see what you mean.

What about this approach:

Create a placeholder object, like a cube in a separate .blend file. Then go into your street file, and append (library link) in the placeholder at all the places that you want it to exist. You can adjust the rotation etc with the placeholder object. Then all you need to do later is to open up that initial placeholder .blend file, and change the model in there, and it automatcally gets propagated to all the points in your street file where you left placeholders. If you have a whole library of different (eg.) lights, then you just need to append those different meshes into your placeholder file.

Just trying to think of a solution within the current systems...

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Actually, I just started to finally see use in the link append feature... Neat one, Broken!

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

broken wrote:Hm, I see what you mean.

What about this approach:

Create a placeholder object, like a cube in a separate .blend file. Then go into your street file, and append (library link) in the placeholder at all the places that you want it to exist. You can adjust the rotation etc with the placeholder object. Then all you need to do later is to open up that initial placeholder .blend file, and change the model in there, and it automatcally gets propagated to all the points in your street file where you left placeholders. If you have a whole library of different (eg.) lights, then you just need to append those different meshes into your placeholder file.

Just trying to think of a solution within the current systems...

That's the way I work it too, I go with what's already in Blender.

Hey I didn't see that feature as being used in that exact way. Thanks for the tip. Maybe we will see something along the lines of what I was referring to later on in Blender. I think that it would be a cool setup.

As the Blender world turns I know that there are new projects that are applied to Blender everyday. Most of the features that are added are way more that I would have expected anyway and we always end up with something good.

Blend on!