Fan-sliders

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

thorwil

Fan-sliders

Post by thorwil »

Hi!

I already mentioned fan-slider inside one thread here, but now linux users can actualy try them out, thanks to Pete Bessman.

http://www.gazuga.net/phat-0.1.0.tar.gz

Projectsite:
http://www.gazuga.net/phat.php

The basic idea is allowing small footprint widgets, while having an adjustable way/value-change ratio.

Just click and drag to the sides of the slider.

The demo shows the centered version for parameters like audio panning, but the sliders can be all positive of course, without the center indication line (white in Gnome default theme).

Holding down ctrl freezes the precision axis, so
only the value can be changed.

Holding down shift freezes the value axis, so
that you can scale the fan up without worying
about unintended value change.

Any input is welcome, but the main question is of course if and how to integrate this into Blender.

thorwil

Post by thorwil »

oh, and here's a screenshot:

chimera

Post by chimera »

aaahh... now I got it. I really tried to catch the idea but just didnt know what you're talking about. well the idea is nice really. but it's very innovative and some maybe confused about it. I think sliders like that should be implemented as a option (maybe in prefs window?).

thorwil

Post by thorwil »

Glad you like the idea.

Too much effort to implement something like that to only have it as an option (turned off by default). Not to forget that the number of options should be kept down, to limit complexity and for not freightening users.

And one goal was allowing very small footprint for replacing knobs like are used in many audio apps. So use of fan-sliders should have some impact on gui layout.

This widget had a little usability testing. I have to admit the people already knew the concept, however the sliders showed to be easy to understand and use.