Child objects of materials possible?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

finty

Child objects of materials possible?

Post by finty »

just wondering if it is possible to implement child objects of a material that inherits the settings of its parent but then you could make subtle adjustments to their material properties.

I could see this being useful if you where creating a forest and you wanted to apply a slight random variation in the trees for example.

every tree or (dupliverted instance of the tree) could be assigned the parent material but because that material has child objects, one of these children could be randomly assigned to each mesh that is sharing the parent material.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

well... it isn't possible

the closest thing is sharing textures

stiv

Post by stiv »

A couple of random thoughts on this:

One way is to implement something similar to the delta variables used Object IPOs. In the same way we have LocX and dLocX, Material properties could have their own d* values.

Another way to do this is with python scripting. If all your Materials have sequential names, it *should* be fairly trivial to write a script to run thru them and tweak the parameters.

finty

Post by finty »

thanks for the input. my question shows my ignorance of how blender works but I think a feature like this, if possible, could speed up work flow for applying a material across multiple meshes that you want to look unique.

xand

Post by xand »

Give a try to CTRL+L

+++