Material Setting Value Slider_Traceable and Shadow

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JA-forreal

Material Setting Value Slider_Traceable and Shadow

Post by JA-forreal »

I was working with RipStings Fiber Script recently doing some hair test. We know that rendering dense mesh objects groups without shadows is a lot faster than with shadows enabled in object material settings.

Would it be possible to add a slider that controls the amount of shadow or softness of a shadow in the material settings with the Traceable and Shadow settings per object?

This way we could give our grass mesh objects less shadow detail than our main object in a scene render. And in the process we would have a faster render.

It's often the little things that count or can be counted out of a 3d render that can speed it up.

Blend on!

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

You could put your limp on the same layer as your grass. And use layer option with all your lamps.

Then you could manualy control the shadow detail for the grass.
- Cam

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

ideasman wrote:You could put your limp on the same layer as your grass. And use layer option with all your lamps.

Then you could manualy control the shadow detail for the grass.
- Cam
I use the layer option too. But I was focusing my idea on the materials for controling the lamps shadow here. Who knows maybe someone will take a whack at this.