ScreenSaver?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ElBarto

ScreenSaver?

Post by ElBarto »

If Blender could generate runtimes (BlenderPlayer) what about generating 3d screen savers too?

R2Blend

Post by R2Blend »

Just change ".exe" to ".scr" outside of blender.

aoe2bug

Post by aoe2bug »

:shock: does this really work? i remember having to get a specific screensaver program that would allow you to load up any .exe.

i'd never tried renaming it, and i dont have any blender .exe's lying around to test this.

anyway, i don't doubt you, but it just seems that this has come up before, and renaming was never mentioned.

R2Blend

Post by R2Blend »

I'm pretty sure it works.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

R2Blend wrote:I'm pretty sure it works.
it does

you have to set up the logicbricks to quit though

and copy it into the windows folder [as you'd do for any screensaveer]

and, when you select it from the list it will start [I'd imagine it intends for it to show up as the preview, but blender isn't coded for that]

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

Ok it works, but wery poor :(, no settings about resolution, starts on select...

And what about Mac OS X and Linux?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

ElBarto wrote:Ok it works, but wery poor :(, no settings about resolution, starts on select...

what about you code it?

the reason it works is because of how windows does screensavers [they aren't much different from executables]

the lack of perfection is simply because the blenderplayer wasn't made to be a screensaver

linux and osx handle screensavers differently, and while I don't think it would be very difficult to modify the blenderplayer source for proper function on any platform, no one has jumped up to do that yet

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

z3r0_d wrote:
ElBarto wrote:Ok it works, but wery poor :(, no settings about resolution, starts on select...

what about you code it?
z3r0_d, not everybody is a programmer. It's quite valid for people to give feedback without offering to fix the problems themselves - Blender is a tool for artists who don't want to or shouldn't have to start writing their own features. Providing that they aren't being rude, there's nothing wrong with people asking questions or posting about problems or limitations they've found. Let's try and be a bit more tolerant, eh? :)

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

@z3r0_d

Sorry i didn't like to bleat. As broken wrote i'm not such a genius in hacking code like you. I add my part to the Blender project with helping writing python scripts (especially X3D and VRML), reporting bugs and think about what is missing (http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/). and post some inspiration stuff.
Ok i will start thinking about Blender and screensavers and add it to my proposal. I think creating 3D screensaver with Blender would be a great feature. Blender has anything that needed for that and could be the first resolution that allows creatives minds creating 3D screensaver for many plattforms.

Edit: i extended my feature proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/#14

gabio

Post by gabio »

ho. side note, someone did a blend runtime loader so you can put a list of runtime to start randomly; very cool. search elysiun