Request: Backface culling

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bryantrueno

Request: Backface culling

Post by bryantrueno » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:49 am

When I was modeling a creature, it was really hard for me to pick the vertex in front, half the time i select vertices that are on the back. It would be nice if Blender have backface culling. I also heard that it speeds up the 3d view.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:15 am

backface culling wouldn't be enough [your object isn't guarnteed to be convex, so you could select a front-facing vert on another part of the mesh]

that said, it was or is in tuhopuu, and you aren't the only one that wants it

I'm surpized you didn't notice the other threads on the topic
sorta, the search function returns nothing on both "backface" or "culling"

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:32 pm

ya but the thing in tuhopuu is not real backface culling in the way that it is just a feature that just happens and makes the view of the mesh nice and clean.

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:51 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:ya but the thing in tuhopuu is not real backface culling in the way that it is just a feature that just happens and makes the view of the mesh nice and clean.
That doesn't mean anything?!
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:57 pm

theeth wrote:
Money_YaY! wrote:ya but the thing in tuhopuu is not real backface culling in the way that it is just a feature that just happens and makes the view of the mesh nice and clean.
That doesn't mean anything?!
Yes it does. The Tuhopuu feature is half of it, now all it needs left is to auto hide all of the vertices behind the view of the front mesh

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:32 pm

Now, that's understandable. What you wrote before just sounded like gibberish.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:49 pm

Funny thing: I was just looking for a feature like that during rendering. I'd like to render a wireframe head with it's nackside occluded. It's not possible yet, is it?

Not to mention how useful this would be for modelling. Definitely something to consider.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:43 am

konrad_ha wrote:Funny thing: I was just looking for a feature like that during rendering. I'd like to render a wireframe head with it's nackside occluded. It's not possible yet, is it?
what color would that other part be?

because you can do it with two materials, one wire with a zoffset, the other either a solid black [if that is what you want], or perhaps grey or whatever [so the wire is on top of the solid mesh]
konrad_ha wrote:Not to mention how useful this would be for modelling. Definitely something to consider.
somehow I think a "hidden line" [that is what xsi calls it] mode in blender wouldn't be as useful as solid with wire for modeling

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:25 pm

because you can do it with two materials, one wire with a zoffset, the other either a solid black [if that is what you want], or perhaps grey or whatever [so the wire is on top of the solid mesh]
This wouldn't work as I still want other objects to be visible through the wireframe.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:35 pm

I think a hidden line view would come in handy quite often. What we are really talking about here seems to be two things:

1, Backface culling for selections

2, Backface culling for the view

I think these should be independant things. You should be able to select only frontface vertices in regular wireframe view and backface vertices in Hidden Line mode.

I see 1 best implemented as a toggle option in the Select menu and 2 best implemented as a new mode in the View Mode selector.

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 pm

And 3, Backface removal during wire renders.