Alpha Ramp-Shader?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Frapl

Alpha Ramp-Shader?

Post by Frapl »

Hi!

Is there the possibility to add a ramp shader for the alpha channel of a material for the next release? I think it would be useful for some effects. ;)
Frapl

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

alpha channel based on lighting?

I'm curious, but did you know that you can map textures using the NOR channel, which is relative to the camera, and can give you for example an object more transparent on its edges... [the real world would have it more transparent in the middle, which is now accomplished with frensel options...]

Dani

Post by Dani »

and did you know you could do ramp shaders without ramps using gradients as envmaps. The envmaps axes are those of an empty that trakcs whatever you want (lamp for instance) and of course you map it the refl way...

Ramps are easier.

Frapl

Post by Frapl »

I got the idea for the alpha ramp-shader trying to make a sphere with soft edges. My solution is to place a texture in NOR-flat mode on the the sphere. Then I have soft egdes if the texture map is made correctly.

But this only works if the camera looks directly to the object!

If the object is a little bit out of center of the picture the alpha texture map is deplaced a little bit and some edges are hard again. If I use the color ramp-shader with the normal setting it works correctly even the object is not in the center of the picture. So I thought it would be best to add a ramp-shader for the alpha channel. In addition it is more comfortable to make this using a ramp-shader instead of an external created texture map. ;)
Frapl

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

i think it would be also good to specify from where the ramp shader is applied- the normal mode takes normals relative to camera, the light to lights, what about taking just any user-specified axis? this would make something like the "snow" shader node in XSI