lscm feature request

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zbgump

lscm feature request

Post by zbgump » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:03 am

I find it useful to work my UV shells into a good shape, then pin the borders and run lscm on the interior uv coords. I thought it would be cool if if could select a point in my shell, and then have blender automatically select the border uvs.

Or perhaps their could be a way to run lscm on a shell but have the border UVs pinned automaically.

blendix

Post by blendix » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:23 pm

This is one of the features I still wanted to code. By (ab)using the optimize stretch code in tuhopuu, coding this became surprisingly easy (10min work).

It now selects the border of the selection (it reduces the selection to the border). I think this provides the most control, since you can then also select the border uvs of a selection inside uv shell (an ear inside a head, for example).

I'm still missing a descriptive and distinctive name though. Border Select is already taken for the well known B-key selection.

Any suggestions?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:38 pm

'Select Island Border' or just 'Island Border'?

Sounds nice BTW.

malefico

Post by malefico » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:33 pm

BTW, I posted in another thread, but it would be nice if pinning of UVs would work to fix a UV not only for LSCM but for every other operation.
For instance if you pin now one UV and proportionally move the next UVs, the pinned UVs are also moved. Could it be a way to keep them pinned no matter what ?

Cheers.

PS: What about Outline Select ? :)

blendix

Post by blendix » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:37 pm

malefico wrote:BTW, I posted in another thread, but it would be nice if pinning of UVs would work to fix a UV not only for LSCM but for every other operation.
For instance if you pin now one UV and proportionally move the next UVs, the pinned UVs are also moved. Could it be a way to keep them pinned no matter what ?
Extending the use of pinning would be easy, and I can see how it would be useful. But the problem is that with LSCM, the pinned uv's are really the only UV's I do want to move, since the other ones will be recalculated anyway.
malefico wrote:PS: What about Outline Select ? :)
This seems to me the best name yet. Thanks!

malefico

Post by malefico » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:42 am

But the problem is that with LSCM, the pinned uv's are really the only UV's I do want to move, since the other ones will be recalculated anyway.
OK, maybe "pinned UVs" in LSCM context and "nailed" UVs (just a joke) in non-LSCM mode ?
So, a "nailed" UV will be recalculated in LSCM, but not moved by user operations. Maybe this could be helpful when releasing the Relax tool.

The thing is that the user should know that LSCM will recalculate everything but the pinned UVs, and also would like to stop using LSCM in some part of his job, but still need to fix UVs in some way.

Cheers. (Maybe "Pin" and "LSCM Pin" kind of thing ?)
This seems to me the best name yet. Thanks!
You're welcome ! :D

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:57 am

LSCM pinned UVs can be manipulated with standard operations like : scale, rotate . grab , prop. edit .... and it must stay that way!

I am not against constraining UV operations by defining UV "non movable". But then the role must be defined for all possible manipulations. Having done that, one can think about avoiding user confusion.

I think whats needed is clever UV selection. Hmm may be a "group" thing like for vertices in edit mode or some boolean ops like "all LSCM pinned in island"

BM

malefico

Post by malefico » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:56 am

LSCM pinned UVs can be manipulated with standard operations like : scale, rotate . grab , prop. edit .... and it must stay that way!
Yes I know and I agree. Didn't mean to change that.
I think whats needed is clever UV selection. Hmm may be a "group" thing like for vertices in edit mode or some boolean ops like "all LSCM pinned in island"
Well, I 've been asking for "Face Groups" for a while, and got satisfied with using Seams, but that would be great.

Cheers.