Upgrading Audio/Video

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

scourage

Upgrading Audio/Video

Post by scourage »

I'm fishing for advice and opinions.

I'm considering spending some time working on Blender's audio/video support and a possible integration of ffmpeg for audio/video input/output. Has anybody already tried this or working on it now?

Cheers,

Bob
Halfway down the trail to hell....

Eric

Post by Eric »

Ask in the mailinglist too. Usually more developers read the list than the forums.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

I heard something a long time ago, so its possible someone was thinking of it. From a linux users perspective this would be great, windows users have microsoft avi support, mac users have quicktime (maybe windows too), but only "the basics" for us linux folks so far. Which works, but it would be nice to have more.

scourage

Post by scourage »

I started building the UI. Screen shots are at

http://bane.servebeer.com/programming/b ... index.html

Now for the fun stuff of integrating the new audio/video codecs. I'd love to hear some feedback. More to come.

Cheers,

Bob

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

This looks to be sweet :) will these codecs be useable as inputs ( e.g. for sequence editor strips / movie textures ) as well as outputs? that would be great.
I looked a little at the committers' maillist archive, and noticed some of the talk vs. libavcodecs/ffmpeg vs. openquicktime vs. libquicktime etc. - Even mplayer was mentioned. I'm curious if using some thing as high level as mplayer but available as a library was discussed ( e.g. xinelib or ever gstreamer) would this make the process easier? harder? the same?
whatever you decide on, its going to make a lot of linux users ( even current non-blender users looking for a video editor) very happy.

scourage

Post by scourage »

slikdigit,

Thank you. The intent is use the same library decode as well as encode media files so that using an mp3 or avi for input in the sequence editor is possible. I looked at using a high level application (mencoder) and calling that from blender but found that to keep blender small and ensure that it behaves the same on most platforms, the low level library is easier to work with. Currently libavcodec is a basic library (correct me if I'm wrong) for ffmpeg, mencoder and gtstreamer. There is also libquicktime and then there is the native support for windows, apple, and other users. I'd like to be able to use as many codecs as possible, especially with all the differnet platforms that blender supports. However ensuring that blender behaves the same on each platform will take some effort and planning.

cheers,

bob

chimera

Post by chimera »

hey the ui looks fine. I'd love to see that implemented. I use linux too and its a real pain to post-convert (cool word, eh? ;)) all the videos

scourage

Post by scourage »

Thanks,

Thats a great word. Do you mind if I use it too? ;) I'm going to do my best to implement it as fast as I can.

The good news-I'm open to suggestions on UI and how the back end should work.

The bad news-I'm going on vacation back to the US to my parents house (which is kinda remote-no internet) for the next 4 weeks, so I may not be posting as much (scripts and whatnot) . I'll be checkin my forums and email when I can and programming on my laptop. My server will remain up the whole time so the forums and scripts will still be available. If I have a breakthrough, I'll post it (if I can). Otherwise, expet to hear from me the first week of October.

Cheers,

Bob

chimera

Post by chimera »

no I dont mind if you use this gorgeous word. dont forget to put the "(c) chimera inc." ;)
why bad news? you should grant yourself some holidays. when I first read trough and read "bad news" I tought about something like "I had a bruning in the kitchen and my harddisk is damaged..." :)

oke sorry for offtopic:
well as for the gui... I really like it as it is. maybe a possibility to adjust codec specific options.