menu's are too long and become hidden..

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Roja

menu's are too long and become hidden..

Post by Roja »

I have a pretty long list of exporting file formats. And I know that at least one becomes hidden from the drop down menu from the top of the screen(file>export). It goes underneath the bottom of the screen, so I can't really click on it. I have to go to scripts and load it from there. Can somethign be done about this. so the drop down menu's move up, or form 2 columns when they realise they are hitting the bottom of the screen, or blender window?

iluvblender

Post by iluvblender »

You mean scrollable menus? like in Windows XP.

that'd be cool.

Roja

Post by Roja »

Well no, not scrollable menu's. This happens with the "drop down" menus, that are under File, Add, Timeline, etc..(at the top of your screen). But it only really happens in File because there are too many export scripts.

Roja

Post by Roja »

I was wondering if this is going to be fixed? cause it is really important...I had to delete some of my export plugins to be able to see the plugin that I watned from the drop down menu.

Anyway, I just came up with another idea that would be really nice.
a plugin hot-key. I would define the plugin I want to use for that hotkey(in my case, my exporter script) in the config menu(you'd be able to set the path of the plugin for the hotkey). I'd press the hotkey, and whatever window my mouse cursor is over is where the plugin script will run itself.
This would be very usefull because it is a pain in the ass when I go to File->export->click my plugin and the plugin opens the filebrowser in the smallest window I have on the screen..making me need to resize it and such. a big pain in the ass when you export a lot :P
And of course it is VERY useful for people who are constantly using their plugins.

gabio

Post by gabio »

behind done, in the ghost refactoring. cause for now blender can't dynamicaly map hotkey. the problem is in the core. so you'r taling about rewrite.
take a look f what is planed:
http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... efactoring

Kenden

Post by Kenden »

The problem with the menus becoming so long that they get off the screen is a known issue.
It's actually on Ton todo's list.
The "minimum" resolution for blender is 1200x1024, do you have the problem with this resolution?

theeth

Post by theeth »

Kenden wrote:The "minimum" resolution for blender is 1200x1024
That's something I wasn't aware of.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

halibut

Post by halibut »

Kenden wrote:The "minimum" resolution for blender is 1200x1024, do you have the problem with this resolution?
There is no "Minimum resolution", do you mean the minimum resolution at which the menus will all show?

dgebel

Post by dgebel »

I don't think having a "minimum" resolution so high is very good. While a lot of people have a high resolution like that nowadays, with LCDs becoming more common, I understand a lot of those have a fixed resolution of 1024x728 or whatever that is.

This would explain why some of the button text is so frequently difficult to read though...

theeth

Post by theeth »

dgebel wrote:This would explain why some of the button text is so frequently difficult to read though...
You can increase button text size if you turn on International Fonts.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Roja

Post by Roja »

my resolution is 1024 x 768...i think most people have about that, and not higher. Well at least it is on the to do list :)

Kenden

Post by Kenden »

Mea culpa: it is not the minimum, but the "design" resolution. Should have read it again, sorry.
Here is what Ton said when I submitted the bug 6 months ago:

"Yah, it's known problem, also part of a good strategy when to define if to flip a menu.

Just moving menu under mouse is not possible now, since it will interpret a mousebutton-release as 'activate', causing nasty surprises.

UI design decisions are based on having 1280x1024 screen size hower.
With 1024x768 as a minimum size which still should be usable.

This work is on the todo list, and known problem. I assign to self, but move to another tracker."

halibut

Post by halibut »

dgebel wrote:I don't think having a "minimum" resolution so high is very good. While a lot of people have a high resolution like that nowadays, with LCDs becoming more common, I understand a lot of those have a fixed resolution of 1024x728 or whatever that is.

This would explain why some of the button text is so frequently difficult to read though...
Yup, mine won't go above 1024*768 unfortunalty.
If there is a menu that gets cut off I usually find I can resize the windows to get all of it in display.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

If you check advanced stats on your website, most people ( including colleges etc ) run at 800x600, believe it or not.

Mal

Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

Really? Wouldn't that make really annoying blendering?
When I'm at uni I always take a computer where I can change the screen resolution to 1280x1024 when I want to blend.