Editing: Allow Face and Edge selection and edit modes

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

Monkeyboi, your graphics make the point about the need for face selecting in an excellent way!

>>To be honest, I believe that this type of mode should have been one of the mandatory coding projects.

>Hear, hear.

Maybe this is already under-way... if there are coders allocated to this, maybe they could post their work so far to this post. If not, could Ton or someone post with their comments etc.

If initially face selection was only a layer, with any editing being done on the vertex level, it would still be an excellent feature to have, with very little additional coding relative to the increase in usability.

I've been asked to put together some training material for a practical game development course, and ( having used Blender before for a similar event ) would rather students learned the standard ( and easier ) way, which means using Wings3D or ( if the budget is available ) the educational version of Max etc.

I'd love to use Blender though, but it's definitely not for students who are using 3D for the first time ( I've used Blender extensively, and have given lecturers on 3D modelling, so I'm well aware of the issues students have with getting to grips with 3D modelling, even with face selection. Working with only vertices requires a high level of skill, so Blender is at the moment just for more expert users IMHO ).

Regards...
Mal

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

Blender was my first tool for 3d.. ;)

whoops no wait i used the old dos pc program called virtual reality studio 2.0... :)

RonC

aoe2bug

Post by aoe2bug »

Maybe this is already under-way... if there are coders allocated to this, maybe they could post their work so far to this post.
I think this is what your talking about:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Mesh_editi ... 425.0.html

commited at 2004/09/23 22:52:51 CEST
Ton has been busy 8)

maybe it was a secret. :D

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

I posted a linux build with the new select modes over in the testing builds forum.
:D

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Linux build? No windows?! Aaaaarrgh!! I want to test this - NOW!;) On a sidenote, and I know I'm going to sound like an ungrateful arse, but I'm hoping for an option to not display face center dots(like in Silo). But, other than that - me so happy me could cry;..
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

YAHOOO!!!!

It looks like that games course is going to be using Blender after all!!!

> but I'm hoping for an option to not display face center dots(like in Silo)

I'd second that... if you are working on large meshes, selections could become quite tricky to see.

Having just an outline might be a solution ( ie just don't draw the dots ), or maybe shading the faces slightly as well as the outline. If there were a few options, people could test them out in various scenes and give feedback on the most useful.

Nice work!!!

Now, what about...

- automatic mirror mode:
Most people, when starting out, will create symmetrical objects ( car, space ship, character ). Having the user edit one half of an object, while the other half updates automatically, would be pretty cool to have ( it would mean having the basic primitives sliced in half at the start though ).
Imagine the effect if the mirror plane could be moved in and out, and vertices were automatically welded etc.

This saves having to duplicate the model, then scale by -1 on one axis, edit, re-attach and weld etc.

- invert select:
Select a few faces, then invert the selection to allow changes to the rest of the mesh.

This really is great news, I can't wait for the windows binary!!!!

Mal

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

malCanDo wrote: - automatic mirror mode:
Most people, when starting out, will create symmetrical objects ( car, space ship, character ). Having the user edit one half of an object, while the other half updates automatically, would be pretty cool to have ( it would mean having the basic primitives sliced in half at the start though ).
Imagine the effect if the mirror plane could be moved in and out, and vertices were automatically welded etc.
It's not as nice as the Wings version, but do you know about mirroring a linked Duplicate? It works pretty well.
malCanDo wrote: - invert select:
Select a few faces, then invert the selection to allow changes to the rest of the mesh.
Select -> Inverse doesn't work for you?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Wow... Ton's done it!

Give him a big cheers!

(Although the true potential of this will show itself once we get bevel functions and others that are written to support this kind of system)

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

O_O

no winbuild?

RONC

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

VirtualDarKness

Post by VirtualDarKness »

aoe2bug wrote: I think this is what your talking about:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Mesh_editi ... 425.0.html
Ok.. now we have it and it is just Great but ..it could be better!

- when you select a face/edge you should be able to select only the faces or edges that are visible to you in the solid viewport shading..
(see also: this post)

- when you move the mouse over a face/edge it should be highlighten

- for select a face you should just right click on the face not on a "dot" in the center of the face.. (and as said before you should'n be able to see/select the faces that are on the other side of the mesh)

in few words.. like in wings3d.

please let me know what do you think about this. thanks.

bye,
Giovanni.
http://www.blender.it - You'd better to use Firefox instead of IE! ;)

Eric

Post by Eric »

>- when you select a face/edge you should be able to select only the faces or edges that are visible to you in the solid viewport shading..
(see also: this post)

Read the notes again. :P

VirtualDarKness

Do you mean this ?

I wasn't able to find an answer in it..

The only thing that is near to it, for what I've understood, seems to be this:
The selection modes and optional drawing modes (like transparant faces, normals, or solid drawing) all work together. All of Blender's mesh editing tools now react to the correct selection mode as well.
but.. in the gabio build that I'm trying I can select a face on the back side also if I'm in solid mode (ZKEY).. :roll: :oops:

bye,
Giovanni.

Eric

Post by Eric »

No, I mean the real notes. :)
Zbuffer clipped selection
This new option (icon in header) will hide drawing and disable selection of invisible vertices, edges and faces. It is based on the zbuffer (depth) values of vertices, edge endpoints or face-centers. Since it's using the same algorithms as for display, selection will be highly accurate.

VirtualDarKness

thanks!

so it is on the to do list:
**** Todo

Add 'FaceSelect mode' functionality in EditMode, including zbuffered selection, display and editing of UV texture.
good news ! :)

Now I hope to see also the other 2 points I wrote above soon :)

bye,
Giovanni.