feature request: evaluate the text that we input

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

oyster

feature request: evaluate the text that we input

Post by oyster »

I know CG is not a science of precision, but this feature will still be useful:

For the NKey transform properties menu, we can input (LocX, LocY, LocZ) as (2*sin(60), 2*cos(60), 3) to put the object at certain place. This expression use the angle in degree, but an option can switch the angle in radian, so (2*sin(pi/3), 2*cos(pi/3), 3) corresponds to the above. Further, we can use some conception in autocad (sorry, I'm not familiar with it): (@20*sqrt(5), 30, 60) means a spherical coordinates (r=20*sqrt(5), theta=30, phi=60); (d+10, 20, -30) means that the newLoc=(oldLocX+10, oldLocY+20, oldLocZ-30); atCursor means the location of the cursor( in this case, LocY and LocZ are not necessary), and so on. In this way, blender can be used more widely.

For the color picker, we can use (200/255, 10/255, 30/255) to translate the color we get in other source, where the RGB components are often in [0,255), to blender specified one.

Some python can work on part of the feature, but a code-in-blender implementation is more convenient. I have not read the blender source, but I have written calculator in C in little lines of source, and there is an eval function in python, so I hope it would not be too difficult. ;)

Thanx.

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent »

This would be a very powerful feature.

Jean

xand

Post by xand »

i agree. that must be part of the new transform.

+++

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

There has been talk about numbut expressions for a few weeks now.

http://www.blender.org/pipermail/bf-com ... 07208.html

/Nathan

chimera

Post by chimera »

well maybe I missunderstand the hole thing. but if this would make it into blender... y not expand it into this:

an m$ excel like input. you can have diffrent functions (as said b4), but in addition you could like; link the object coordinates, rotaion, size with other objects. let me explain:

you have selected a cube (named "cube"). in the NKEY menu you click on LocX, you hold Ctrl and MMB on a diffrent object (a Sphere named "Sphere") and pick RotZ in a dropdown menu that would appear. so your field changes into:
LocX: %Sphere:RotZ%

so you can add a division or other functions... interaction with other objects parameters. a crazy example like
LocX: (%Sphere:RotZ%-3)/log(%Cone:SizeX)

it'd be hard not to have endless loops indeed... but how do you like the idea itself?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

chimera wrote:an m$ excel like input. you can have diffrent functions (as said b4), but in addition you could like; link the object coordinates, rotaion, size with other objects
That was the kinda the idea.

/Nathan

chimera

Post by chimera »

jesterKing wrote:
chimera wrote:an m$ excel like input. you can have diffrent functions (as said b4), but in addition you could like; link the object coordinates, rotaion, size with other objects
That was the kinda the idea.

/Nathan
uee... proud of myself ;)

as a script, it could be combined with "Data Copier" script by jms.

chimera

Post by chimera »

dont let the idea die... please :)

joeri

Post by joeri »

Evaluate on frame basis or on input basis?
ie. keep the expression and calculate every frame.
Or evaluate on enter and put the result in the button?

halibut

Post by halibut »

joeri wrote:Evaluate on frame basis or on input basis?
Both would be useful! :)

Just to start, it would be nice to be able to type 5+5 in to a number button and it turns to 10.

joeri

Post by joeri »

halibut wrote:
joeri wrote:Evaluate on frame basis or on input basis?
Both would be useful! :)

Just to start, it would be nice to be able to type 5+5 in to a number button and it turns to 10.
Well I agree with that.

The other thing is something I don't like.
Let's not put the most important part (animation) in the smallest buttons we can find (toolbox buttons) :)