RFC: NEXT-Like File Browser

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aqsalter

RFC: NEXT-Like File Browser

Post by aqsalter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:50 am

Would it be possible to add a 'NEXT'-like (ie OSX-like ;) file browser functionality to the standard file browser for Blender?

This would greatly increase the browsing speed.

Thanks,
Adam

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:37 pm

what are you talking about?

the osx file browser has several different layouts that all act differently, can you at least pick one?

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:03 pm

I think he means the 'Columns' view, where you navigate horizontally (kinda like the iPod interface actually...). It evolved from the NeXT OS. now coding something like that is another thing altogether :)

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:23 pm

A revision of the File Browser is a good idea nonetheless. a [..] sign is just not a standard way no navigate back and [.] is not a standard for reloading. It could do with agood overhaul - it has hardly been changed since Blender 1.7. Many of its features are also very hidden, and the way you select several files at once is not obviouos. IMO the File Browser needs a revision from the ground up.

I love the NeXT-style filebrowser that is in OSX, but I, like Broken, can imagine it might be hard to implement.

lukep

Post by lukep » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:24 pm

broken wrote:I think he means the 'Columns' view, where you navigate horizontally (kinda like the iPod interface actually...). It evolved from the NeXT OS. now coding something like that is another thing altogether :)
actually coding that is not that hard IMHO (I have done something similar whith an array of lists of dir entries).

However, if I like this type of browser (I use almost only this view), I'm not sure it is needed to impose that to others platforms. If it is handy, you need some knowledge of it to be confortable with.

The blender browser lacks perhaps in the fancy department, but works flawlessly.

gabio

Post by gabio » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 pm

i dont see too much probleme with the current filebrowser execept the fact 3/4 of the fuctonnality is hiden. move, copy, delete a file is not very easy to find... maybe a file menu in the header bar or something.
Also the fact we still get some "/" stuff on windows. it work but not with volum setup. why not just code the filebrowser to get the drive letter at load, instead of selecting it in the pulldown to pass from / to c:\...

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:34 am

Anyone starting to code in the fileselect can get into mayor trouble.
/, // and \ . \n, /n and \\ and | are all fun in sgi based program converted to all OS.
And, it's everywhere: Liblink, Texures, Text, even in the packed files.
At some point I thought it would be best to use the OS native fileselect. Because users of their OS most of the time like the FS they have. And it saves alot of time writting features like thumbnail view.
I mostly work on windows with drives on other machines named something like: \\bigwhale\render disc\ and I hate to have to map them all the time :wink:

aqsalter

Post by aqsalter » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:22 am

lukep wrote:
broken wrote:I think he means the 'Columns' view, where you navigate horizontally (kinda like the iPod interface actually...). It evolved from the NeXT OS. now coding something like that is another thing altogether :)
actually coding that is not that hard IMHO (I have done something similar whith an array of lists of dir entries).

However, if I like this type of browser (I use almost only this view), I'm not sure it is needed to impose that to others platforms. If it is handy, you need some knowledge of it to be confortable with.

The blender browser lacks perhaps in the fancy department, but works flawlessly.
First I think this type of file browser would be the easiest of any type to implement as it is basically just breaking up the browser window with multiple levels of file lists - A windows explorer type (with the little "+" to open subfolders) would be much more difficult.
I chose this type because I thought it would integrate nicely, be great and easy to implement as well.

Second, it wouldn't have to be a matter of imposing on others. The default could be to leave the view the way it is, and have a button to toggle between views (it would just add a slider to the bottom of the window as well).

Third, I just realised, on windows the root could show the drives (A,B,C etc) so that people could easily navigate to other drives.

<shrug> I certainly think it would improve file browser useability.