Feature Request: In-Program Tutorials

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Doogs

Feature Request: In-Program Tutorials

Post by Doogs »

I think we should have people code in some sort of in-program blender tutorials, with pop up windows etc... In some kind of simple script where anyone can create a tutorial file and upload. BF blender could then start off with a bunch of these in a help tab .... Say someone posts a question in the forum, you just upload the tutorial file and they plug it into blender, and you can show them first hand how to do what they need!

thoughts?

RonC

joeri

Post by joeri »

Basicly I think this is a good idea. A learning wizard.

Some software has this feature as a "show me" in the help section.
The mouse starts moving, popup's are pressed and changes in the document are made.
But mostly it's changing a setting. Not modelling a face :)

It will need an "author" version to. So people can make the tutorials.
And preferably in a format that stays forward compatible with future blenders (just a personal frustration of rewritting scripts and recompiling plugins).
It might even need something like an image popup, so it can show extra information like what key needs to be pressed or something like that.

I don't think it's easy to implement.
But if implemented well it could also be used as a macro or action ( photoshop) system.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

Well more or less all it really needs is even at an infantile stage is just simple popups. Do this. Do that. Click next. It doesnt have to take control of the mouse or anything...

RonC

ch

Post by ch »

how can you do that?
is there a command for popup "windows" ?
I think that's not possible.
http://www.web-play-3d.de
German site with Blender Tutorials

chimera

Post by chimera »

well it is possible to open external windows (I think). the main problem is, it is not possible to kinda "see" what the user does. so if he clicks on a button, you can't get a script to recognize that.

since this is needed, it'd be no big deal to include access to those buttons... or mouse.

am I talking weird stupid stuff or are my thoughts right?