Now that there are true edges/faces selections...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Dani

Now that there are true edges/faces selections...

Post by Dani »

This is great, really!

But there still is a problem...

They really represent 3 different sub editmodes... you can't quickly switch from vertex select to face select... As a user I don't find it that practical and it is not, IMHO, faster than good-old vertex modelling... a shame for such a powerful tool.

I suggest that the three "vertex" "edge" "face" submodes could be merged into one.

In one single mode, when nothing is selected, you can have access to the three types. But once one type has been selected, if you want to do a multiple selection you can only select that type: i.e. if you select an edge you can only select edges (and act on them) until the multiple selection (shift) is cleared (erased... Akey)...
Once the selection is cleared, you can select whatever you want again...

This way there is no mode-swithcing nor anything, just plain quickness I beleive (am I wrong?)

Highlighting on mouseover could be useful, and necessary, this would make the selection a lot easier...

Hum, I guess this makes it look like wings... oh well, can't be that bad no?

Ciao
Dani

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

In one single mode, when nothing is selected, you can have access to the three types. But once one type has been selected, if you want to do a multiple selection you can only select that type: i.e. if you select an edge you can only select edges (and act on them) until the multiple selection (shift) is cleared (erased... Akey)...
Once the selection is cleared, you can select whatever you want again...
I must say, that is a great idea:) And I don't know of any other 3d app with this kind of workflow. But unfortunately I'm not a coder, and ultimately it's up to them. My only critique against your proposal, would be that on a dense mesh there's bound to be problems selecting accurately. You might end up selecting a vertex, when you really wanted to select an edge, and then you'd have to clean up and start over. But as an extra "mode", it would be super:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Dani

Post by Dani »

Hum.... well selecting anything in a dense mesh is difficult no? ;)

I'm wondering if the following addition to the previous suggestion would solve the problem...

let's consider the following:

Code: Select all

Selection type:         vertex --> edges --> faces
n=                         1         2         3
if you've selected a particular type (say edges, type n=2) and you find out that the highlighting really can't select the right edges you're pointing at, then, while keeping the multiple selection key (SHIFT) pressed you can press another modifier key (CTRL for example) that would very temporally revert to the n-1 selection mode (in this example, vertices)...

While you keep ctrl down you can select the vertices that compose the edge(s) you want to select and once that's done you release CTRL.

There, blender checks if the vertices really do determine (an) edge(s) (i.e. if the *n-1* selection matches an *n* type) and if true, these new edges are added to the selection (and of course, you're back in edge selection until you clear the selection)...

Maybe a graph would be helpful...

what do you think? Is it worth submitting to the devs?

Ciao
Dani

Eric

Post by Eric »

You mean like the mixed mode that already exists?

SHIFT-click the different select mode-buttons to mix them. It works quite alot like Wings actually. (though I agree about that the selection-mode should stay the same with the first selection you make)

Dani

Post by Dani »

Woa! The only thing I didn't try : SHIFT+Clic the different buttons! solves everything in fact ;)

Thanks!
Dani

Dani

Post by Dani »

no, it doesn't solve everything...

Add a plane and subdivide it.

activate all three modes at a time.

select a row of EDGES...
then select the next row of EDGES...

you'll notice that the edges that link from row a to row b (the H's horizontal bar) are selected too...
and when you try to unselect one of those crossing-edges, you unselect the four edges it's attached to ( unselect the horizontal bar of the letter H and you'll unselect the four vertical segments of that letter, see what I meen?)
this can be solved by using the exclusively-edge selection mode, but switching modes HEAVILY breaks workflow...

So I'd still go for the exclusive multiple selection loop as exposed above... you first selected an edge? well you'll only be able to select edges until you free the selection.

however, I think i understand this causes what the devs call "modallity" (and needs loops) and i think the key word is : no more loops while selecting...

Maybe Rules should have their exceptions?

Dani