Texture baker

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

GreyBeard

Texture baker

Post by GreyBeard »

Have other people noticed that the texture baker is a little wonky? If I bake my texture and then load it into the uv editor it is shifted in both x and y directions and scaled slightly in the x and y directions as well! Is this a known bug? Am I doing something wrong?

GreyBeard

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate »

From what I have read this is normal. Just resize and adjust your UV islands manually.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

have you tried mine?

http://www.geocities.com/z3r0_d/files/u ... ample2.zip
[contains a .blend with instructions, sample models, and script]

trogdor

Post by trogdor »

ive noticed this as well, and posted about it on elysiun.

is this a bug? has it been submitted?

GreyBeard

Post by GreyBeard »

Thanks z3r0_d -- not quite as elegant but works better. I'll take "works" over "looks" evey time. :D

GreyBeard

caliban

Post by caliban »

GreyBeard wrote:Thanks z3r0_d -- not quite as elegant but works better. I'll take "works" over "looks" evey time. :D

GreyBeard
what do you mean by "it works"? I just did a test with a simple square mesh and the result is (at least) 15% bigger than the correct uv and now there is 4 unwanted faces in the unfolded mesh so there is also some fantasy in the uv shape . Very curious.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

caliban wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:Thanks z3r0_d -- not quite as elegant but works better. I'll take "works" over "looks" evey time. :D

GreyBeard
what do you mean by "it works"? I just did a test with a simple square mesh and the result is (at least) 15% bigger than the correct uv and now there is 4 unwanted faces in the unfolded mesh so there is also some fantasy in the uv shape . Very curious.
can you show me?

perhaps it is just that your render setting isn't square [after considering the aspect ratio....]. My script doesn't mess with that on its own; it only creates a camera, makes it active, and creates that mesh [with 8 duplicates, unfortunately on layer 1, not on the same layer necescarily], which should be unfolded on frames 2 and beyond.

caliban

Post by caliban »

You can do an other test : in your file, remove the suzan meshes, add a simple plane (without changing size or place),
subdivide twice, add uv, choose the uv unfold "from window", do alt-p on
the script. Look at the result .

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

caliban wrote:You can do an other test : in your file, remove the suzan meshes, add a simple plane (without changing size or place),
subdivide twice, add uv, choose the uv unfold "from window", do alt-p on
the script. Look at the result .
it works exactly as I intended

as in, what you are pointing out as a bug is in fact a feature

the major gripe I had with jms's script was that it didn't do this

so, lemme explain. When textures are sampled from an image they usually combine colors from several surrounding textels [texture pixels]. Next to uv seams, this includes the textels outside of the uv area. Without doing this, those textels would be the world color [blue by default], and would show up rather annoyingly on texture seams. The effect can be reduced by using OSA [which will make some of the textels blended with the world color, or possibly the correct collor iirc if you choose key in the render buttons], but the problem comes back when mipmapping is used [and you are looking at the face such as to see a smaller chosen mip level].

so, without doing anything about that you will get something like:
or
[the texture looks bad becuase the graphics card sucks, but the texture seams would still be as visible]

the solution makes the seams nearly invisible [normal map seams are still visible, but that is now primarily due to another problem]
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/YinYangEv ... uzanne.jpg

caliban

Post by caliban »

Sorry, but I am not interested by the other script . I just try to understand how to use this one . How do I correctly position co-ordinates UV now that there are no more limit to locate with precision ?

tester

Post by tester »

Hello Blender heads :)

I have some qustion.
Someone post the texture baker sizeing bug in the Bug Tracker section?Because link don't work and i don't reach it!

I have an other porblem with texture beker cript in blender.
I dont change Nor value for baked texture when i changed value dont
affect it.

and :) someone know about Radiosity Texture Baking porposal?

http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/#17

when implement it into blender and how work it?

thank for answers

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

z3r0_d, why isn´t your baker in the official release?(as many other scripts, which often have fewer bugs then those in the release)

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

pildanovak wrote:z3r0_d, why isn´t your baker in the official release?(as many other scripts, which often have fewer bugs then those in the release)
because I didn't put it in there I guess

jms's gets the job done I guess, mine needs to be cleaned up a little

[there is a bug if you have a large non-square object on the x axis rotated a certain way with the positioning of the meshes, but it doesn't really matter where I put the new objects if I set up the clip start and end correctly]
tester wrote:Hello Blender heads

I have some qustion.
Someone post the texture baker sizeing bug in the Bug Tracker section?Because link don't work and i don't reach it!

I have an other porblem with texture beker cript in blender.
I dont change Nor value for baked texture when i changed value dont
affect it.
that didn't make sense, can you try explaining your problem again
tester wrote:and someone know about Radiosity Texture Baking porposal?

http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/#17

when implement it into blender and how work it?

thank for answers
I believe that was a mock-up. I haven't been watching for the past couple days, but it doesn't look like anybody is implementing that.

[uhh, why do you need a frames/second input for the bake output of a radiosity calculation?]