Default Sphere/Cylinder/Tube/Circle size

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

stratacator

Default Sphere/Cylinder/Tube/Circle size

Post by stratacator » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:59 pm

I'd like to propose that the default size of the radius of the Sphere/Cylinder/etc. be 1, instead of sqrt(2). It might also be nice to be able to define the size of the radius before the mesh is created, as can be done for the number of sides and whatnot. Thanks.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:39 am

I'd like to propose that the default size of the radius of the Sphere/Cylinder/etc. be 1, instead of sqrt(2). It might also be nice to be able to define the size of the radius before the mesh is created, as can be done for the number of sides and whatnot. Thanks.
I'm actually working on a proposal for parametric primitive creation:) Not meaning it will happen, I'm not a coder. But, I do think it is very useful to have more control over primitive creation.
Last edited by Bellorum on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:47 am

Parametric primitive creation sounds good. :)

Is there some kind of an object preferences window in Blender where you could scale, move, rotate and do things things like that? If not then that could be good too.
One thing that troubles me is that when i create a new cube for example, its rotated so that it kind of faces the camera. Is there a way to get rid of this?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:11 am

Crafty wrote:Is there some kind of an object preferences window in Blender where you could scale, move, rotate and do things things like that?
NKey

/Nathan

ilac

Post by ilac » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Crafty wrote:One thing that troubles me is that when i create a new cube for example, its rotated so that it kind of faces the camera. Is there a way to get rid of this?
ALT+R

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:28 pm

Isnt there already a parametric shape creator as a python script?
Are you hardcoding something like that?

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24930

http://www.selleri.org/Blender/scripts/text.html

The second is a more direct link to the download

Ian

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:59 pm

The Transform Panel in Blender is mostly usesless, it doesn't display the real size of an object in Object Mode, it is just display the scaling factor.
Example: Create a cube and you see from the grid the cube is real 2x2x2 but the panel shows 1x1x1.
The definetly stupid thing is that at the panel the Label are SizeX,Y,Z instead of ScaleX,Y,Z.
A rework of the panel is needed. Another point is that the vertex coord that are displayed just local and in relation to the center. A global display for them is missing :( (but there is enough space under the local VertexX,Y,Z).

Karamba!
Bart.

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

stratacator

Post by stratacator » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:11 pm

Is that what parametric refers to? Well, that makes a lot of sense. So anyway, that does sound good. I haven't checked out the plugin, and though I'm sure it's nice, I always prefer for things to be hardcoded.

As for the transform panel, I find it useful, but I have issues with it. Mostly I'm bothered by the fact that you can select objects "through" the transform panel, and if a new object is selected, it will immediately take on the values in the panel, instead of updating the panel to show its values. Maybe this is just a bug with the unreleased version of Blender I'm using, but if it's not, then that needs fixing too.

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:51 pm

Well great that there is a transform panel, but as barto said it could be better.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:23 pm

it could be better.
everything can always be better :wink:
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:09 am

Yes, the first step for a better panel could be labeling SizeX,Y,Z as ScaleX,Y,Z. This is very easy and will avoid some misunderstandings. May in next release (2.36) a complete rework could be done.

Karamba!
Bart.

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/