Deleting Data Blocks

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hello

Deleting Data Blocks

Post by hello » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:30 am

I don't know if anyone else has had a similar problem, but I have blend files with tons of unused or unneeded data blocks that are just taking up file space and causing clutter. I was wondering if maybe someone could implement a function, maybe in the OOPs window, that would allow one to delete data blocks.
An example of this is actions in the action editor. It is possible to unlink the actions from the given object, but they still remain in the file, and I can't figure out a way of actually deleting them. Another problem is images, if they aren't being used, and are unlinked; than why won't the go away? Maybe the links don't take up a lot of space, but they certainly add to clutter and seem to be appended with any object in the scene even if the object has no materials or anthing linked to it.
Maybe there is already a way to do this; and if there is, I would like to know how. If not, though, it would be helpful if someone could add it somewhere in blender.
Thanks in advance.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:01 pm

This is an extremely frustrating shortcoming of Blender. In theory, Blender should delete unused datablocks if you quite and reopen twice, but it's not consistent, and sometimes you might want to delete used datablocks - say I want to remove a texture file from a project even though it is in use. According to the Outliner plans though, it will be possible to delete datablocks from it when it gets implemented fully.

thoro

Post by thoro » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:47 am

Hi!

Encountering the same problem you have deleting actions, I found this tip on elYsiun:
TIP : Thanks to Carl for this one...if you want to permanently delete actions that aren't being used from a Blender file - press shift + f4 in any window (data browser), go to the actions - you will probably have to go up one level, then you can just click actions and there they are...

Actions always have a fake user (F) this is because otherwise you would use all the actions you weren't using (naming in an actuator for example)

Use your right mouse button to select all the actions you wish to delete, then press F, now you see that all the F's with the actions you selected are gone, the fake user is gone.... the number after the actions should now be 0, indicating no users for that action. Save... quit blender and restart the file, now they should be gone....

hello

Post by hello » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:26 am

Whoa! it works! :D
Thanks, that helps a lot. And if the Outliner could do this, that would be great! Maybe this data browser will allow other things that don't seem to go away to be deleted.
Thanks.