Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

solmax

GUI enhancements

Post by solmax » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:27 pm

EDITED: **

just thoughts, resulting from things that keep me busy all the time:

GUI enhancements:

- SHORTCUTS:

user definable shortcuts. possible options: to bind multiple commands to one key via cycling and reverse-cycling (via some option-key). also, multi-keys (pressing two keys at the same time). this would be essntially the same as being able to define custom option-keys.

apart from all internal commands also scripts sould be made accessable via shortcuts.

the next step would be user definable menus, where a key pops up a menu (much like the "specials", currently accessed by pressing "W").

- CHOOSING TARGETS (for constraints, object-data):

a point-and-click method for choosing constraint control objects would greatly improve useability. instead of typing in the name of the desired objects, the user would press a key labeled "Pick item..". then he can select the object he needs just as always. ESC or pressing the "Pick item.." buttons again would cancel this pick-mode.

for choosing actions for action constraints the user could be offered a similar view as the data-browse window, but where only a hierarchy of armatures and it's actions are shown.

EDIT*:

*deleted* (selection mode issue, already built-in)

EDIT**:

- OUTLINER:

the outline view should be scrollable horizontally, too. right now i have to enlarge the view to see deeper hierarchies.

tell me what you think
Last edited by solmax on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:03 pm

Choosing Target would be great.
It's really useful, instinctive, friendly and it's faster than to type the full object's name.

Kenden

Post by Kenden » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:11 pm

I like pick target very much.

And the remap keys GUI proposal is nice too :)

However, I like that when you select for vertexes, a face gets selected.
What is your problem with that?

chimera

Post by chimera » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:12 pm

there was something on the maillinglist about it. it is very hard to implement afaik, since the current hotkeys are coded right into the source. I'm not a coder, so sorry I may be horribly wrong.

solmax

Post by solmax » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:09 pm

Kenden wrote:However, I like that when you select for vertexes, a face gets selected.
What is your problem with that?
hm, funny i don't remember any good examples right now.. but i'm sure i had some situations where i didn't want the inherited selection...

ah yes, say we have again the quad - if i want (for whatever reason) to extrude just the 4 vertices, so that i end up with 4 new edges, i can't do that at once.

i admit this isn't bad (hey i'm happy we have facec/edges at all :) ), i just think it should be considered.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:02 pm

When extruding in facemode you can choose to extrude vertices only...

/Nathan

solmax

Post by solmax » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:22 pm

jesterKing wrote:When extruding in facemode you can choose to extrude vertices only...
HA! surprise, surprise :) i hadn't tested the latest osx cvs. thanks, jester.
marin

Dani

Post by Dani » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:25 pm

I agree that selections shouldn't be mixed up... if you select two edges right now, you get the face... NO! I just want the two edges, or else i would have selected the face... makes sense no?

Dani

solmax

Post by solmax » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:12 pm

Dani wrote:I agree that selections shouldn't be mixed up... if you select two edges right now, you get the face... NO! I just want the two edges, or else i would have selected the face... makes sense no?

Dani
no - if you select two edges they stay two edges. even three edges still stay thress edges (unless the face a trianlge). hoever, changing selection mode to vertices selects the whole face. .. still not sure if this is good or not. since jester "opened" my eyes abt. the new functions, i don't have any problems with "doing the right thing".

marin

Dani

Post by Dani » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:38 pm

no - if you select two edges they stay two edges
Activate the three modes simultaneously and select two opposite edges of a face... you'll understand what I mean.

From a recent message un bug tracker we learn that the selection of super-elements when sub-elements are selected is the default (and wanted) behaviour:

selecting four vertices result in selecting the face... the same for edges...

here's the quote:
Category: Tools
Group: None
>Status: Closed
>Resolution: Fixed
Priority: 5
Submitted By: Daniel B. Vasquez (dani)
>Assigned to: Ton Roosendaal (ton)
Summary: Crease in Edge-Mode crease more edges than selected (selection bugs)

Initial Comment:
This is not really a bug, it's a functionnality that doesn't work the way it should... well that's a bug no?

Anyway: create a cube, make it subsurf with enough subdiv iterations.

Enter Edit-Mode and select edge-mode: select two opposite edges of the same face and Crease them (shift+E) : All FOUR edges of the face will get creased: that's not what was asked for no?

BTW, there are other similar bugs in selections when all mode are activated: select two edges and you select the whole face (that is not what was asked, or one would have selected the face directly), select 3/4 verts == the whole face (again, that was not what blender was asked for)

Further on, some people complain that they can't apply a weight on a single vertex... but that's equal to applying a crease on all the edges that share that vertex. Maybe this could be a short-cut no?

Ciao
Dani

----------------------------------------------------------------------

>Comment By: Ton Roosendaal (ton)
Date: 2004-10-30 16:10

user_id=103

The SHIFT+E crease tool was faulty, it didnt use proper edge selection yet. Fixed!

If you select all modes, the lowest mode selected has preference over the higher modes, so selecting the vertices will select edges, selecting edges will select faces, as it was usual.

Crease weights for vertices is not supported in the subsurf code we have... doing it for the 4 edges works a bit, but isn't the proper method actually.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That was a quick fix (I received the message 1h30 after posting the report)...

Anyway, back on the subject... selecting super-elements by it's sub-elements shouldn't be the default behaviour but the exception ie: select the vertices and IF you want to select super elements then press some key (Enter) and the immediate super-element would be selected (edges) and another Enter-key would select the next super element (faces)...

no?

Dani