What is wrong, and what should stay?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

VBAD interface... diE diE Dîe diE interface !

Next finish the features... Dont leave features and workflows in a mess. Haveing different buttons and windows for texture and materials when they both work hand in hand is just stupid...

eh whatever, these little talks never do any good it is all hot air for the most part

blackpage

Post by blackpage »

relax, will ya

that's a forum, the topic is what it is and that means "exchange", and if you don't appreciate that, just stay out of it, simple as that. If the little banter in this thread gets you started like this, you'd definitely should cut down on caffeine a bit and retire to your "feature and workflow"-pastures where they talk about things you consider important. And I swear, you won't see any interface related posts from me there.

Additionally, and as I'm never above helping a fellow 3D-artist or programmer who obviously is close to a nervous breakdown, I will furnish you with some infos and techniques, that will make life a whole lot easier. (not for you, mind you, but for the ppl who have to interact with you in real life ;)

A: Try modelling a fluffy sheep, it's great! It has helped lots of ill tempered ppl and you could even get rich in case ILM does "A close shave" some day and you can sell them your flock via Turbosquid.

B: Prepare yourself a mantra by eliminating all consonants from the words "feature" and "workflow" and keep saying it to yourself over and over again.

C: Try to find the end of a torus-knot, but don't give up prematurely! You'll be rewarded with a ShagFur-powered brush from the tooth-fairy (that's the feature, you do the workflow)

You see? Points A to C, _THAT_ is hot air. Anything else is opinion, discussion or dispute if we want it enriched with a lil mo fun.

As it goes for ...
eh whatever, these little talks never do any good it is all hot air for the most part
well, we can't all be equally brilliant, at least not when it comes down to summarizing our own posts.

an equally amused evening to you

joeri

Post by joeri »

Money_YaY!:

I think discussions help to make clear what point of view I have myself.
Posing a point of view gives feedback (or should) that helps to clearefy if the pov makes any sense.

Ofcourse I'm not a "know-it-all" american. I'm a "lets come to a deal" dutchy.

Sure it might look like alot of these discussions do not end up in a button named "Plotik", or in a widget turn yellow, but that's not what these discussions are for.

They do me any good, and makes me think it worth while investing time in blender and the BF.

joeri

Post by joeri »

blackpage wrote:At this point our lil convo could really become the sequel to the "Neverending Story" :) But believe it or not: I also understand your point of view (with exceptions).
I believe you, and I enjoyed the neverending story. I agree that user definable things can be of greater ease to experienced users than fixed programmers dogma's. I have alot of fun with Maya. But Maya = MEL, so everthing is definable. Everything everthing. Not 'just' hotkeys.

In blender I rather have expressions in sliders, driven keys, etc and be able to control what I'm creating, not control the software.
(Controlling the software is best done in C, specialy blender being open source)

Forgetting what key is what is just difficult for me to understand.
And hard to imagine others have a problem with that. Maybe that's because I've been using computers for a while now and alot of different OS and software.

I'm pretty happy with the interface (gui and ui and i) and think most of the complainers should first look at themselfs as to why they don't get familiar to what the idea behind it is.
"Create Box => Collapse To Poly => FaceMode => Select Faces => DEL => VertexMode ... Chamfer => Select Edges => Crease To 0.5 =>=>=>=>" and so on and so on ...
Sure, this is modelling, and only 10% of animation work.
Blender as an animation package needs more work on the other than modelling parts. I've seen 3 Gui changes and still no workable IK.
There are now more font selecting buttons than Nurbs tools.
Anyway,... That's just my personal beef.
Macro's would be great. Modo and Maya have great solutions to repetetive work.
...tailored (in terms of shortcuts e.g.) to my needs...
Sure. Only fair that you make it yourself then :P
That's sort of my point. It's very usefull to some. But not the most.
...of It was unclear anyway what to do over the summer :)
Cool!

I still have not found any time to make a good list of what I think should stay, and what should go. In my view I think it's important to get some sort of overview of the users, and what needs they have. Or (worse as some might say) get an idea of what kind of users blender wants to server and tell the other users to sod off, euh... (sorry 'bout that), to fork or to find another package more to their needs.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

joeri,
I agree that user definable things can be of greater ease to experienced users than fixed programmers dogma's. I have alot of fun with Maya. But Maya = MEL, so everthing is definable. Everything everthing. Not 'just' hotkeys.
Macro's would be great. Modo and Maya have great solutions to repetetive work.
Well, as I understand it the plan is to make everything user-definable for Blender too. Both Macros and total customization are both dependent on refactoring Blenders event subsystem and the way that events are bound to things.
I'm pretty happy with the interface (gui and ui and i) and think most of the complainers should first look at themselfs as to why they don't get familiar to what the idea behind it is.
I think most of the people who want configurable bindings are those who have an established workflow in other programs and would like to maintain that workflow in Blender.
Blender as an animation package needs more work on the other than modelling parts. I've seen 3 Gui changes and still no workable IK.
There are now more font selecting buttons than Nurbs tools.
Personally I think the focus should be on making Blender 'the Best' in categories where that is feasible. We have a real opportunity to do so in both the SDS modeling and UV mapping tools. If the animation refactor goes as planned we might also have such an opportunity on that front. Of course I also want Blender to be the Best tool (or at least highly competitive) in every category :)

LetterRip