separate gui windows

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jm

separate gui windows

Post by jm » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:07 pm

hi

as I'am working in Blender so I realy like work in fullscreen mode with one 3D window. so Am thinking if there could be possibylity to allow useres unjoit some part of gui window.
A have two monitors so maybe for people which have same equipment it would be helpful if they (we) can unjoint button window, material win., logic.. to the second monitor or something like that.
jm

bertram

Post by bertram » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:11 am

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:29 am

I'm very ambigues about this.
What I realy like about blender is the none overlapping windows.

This is why the biggest evil since tax is the new design with the hidden button windows (worst invetion ever, not only don't you know what a button does, you can't even see it anymore. ;)
And now you propose to do the same thing with the windows.
Sure, you say you will put them on a different display, but maybe you don't and the you'll have something as evil as,... as,... as,... photoshop on macos8.

bertram

Post by bertram » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:41 am

@joeri: althoug I agree with you on the consistency of the blender window I really wonder what was wrong with Photoshop on MacOS 8? There were much more evil apps like QuarkXPress... (Theres no emoticon for vomitting... ! Feature Request... Feature Request...! :)

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:18 pm

This would be the great thing about having a flexible, customisable interface.

The default ( non-overlapping / integrated windows ) could be un-checked, allowing people to place the various windows in different monitors. This is probably quite important if Blender is to be used more in a commercial environment ( where dual monitor setups are commonplace ).

Mal

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Well Blender have "Screens", so what about separating screens? It´s easier and simpler and non overlaping, blender allredy uses the concept

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:38 am

I still don't see what is wrong with stretching blender over the two monitors and layout your views in a sensible way. You could set it up so that your other monitor has one big 3d-view, and the other the rest of your needed views. I have found it to work very nicely.

/Nathan

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:16 am

jesterKing wrote:I still don't see what is wrong with stretching blender over the two monitors and layout your views in a sensible way.
At least on the Mac, if your screens aren't the same resolution, then the Blender window can only be as high as the smaller screen, leaving a yucky gap.

bertram

Post by bertram » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:12 am

jesterKing wrote:You could set it up so that your other monitor has one big 3d-view, and the other the rest of your needed views.
This certainly works if you don't feel the need for maximizing your IPO window or any other of your views that don't spread across a whole screen. If you do so, the respective view would spread across both of the screens.
That's why I've suggest a preferences-setting which enables the maximizing of viewports to a single screen only.

An right now I'm having the idea of a 'hard split' of the blender window...
This would allow to split the blender window in views which would only maximize to the next borders of a 'hard split'. I will illustrate this later this evening because I'm rather excited about this solution at the moment.

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:59 pm

Maximize seems the need to know about multiple display.
Because Maximize across all displays is silly.

Different sizes of multi displays can be supported with multi windows.
Blender already has different windows; cmd, blender(?) & render output.
So in that perspective 2 (or more) gui windows don't feel like a bad idea.

That osx doesn't allow windows bigger then the display is,... silly.
Apple should fix that :) Then a blender can stay 1 window and maximize should stay in a display :)

dgebel

Post by dgebel » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:51 pm

I'm becoming much more fond of "multi-document interfaces" than I used to be. One container box for (multiple) document, toolbars, etc. I usually have multiple apps open at once - need them organized or I get confused! Overlapping windows... eh. Like it is now isn't too bad, although definite learning curve. Default should not be separate windows, but ability to "undock" windows could be nice for multiple screens.

Using some of the older (or maybe Unix style? Gimp for example) programs that have disconnected windows gets annoying sometimes. Toolbars especially that stay up even when all/the working window is minimized, or toolbars that won't dock are frustrating (Gimp). You minimize the only working window... everything should minimize. One hides just the toolbar windows whenever the app isn't active window - that's kind of annoying too. If I wanted it gone, I'd minimize it. But Gimp (and others) tear-off menus are nice short-cuts.

halibut

Post by halibut » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:25 am

I like the idea of being able to tear away blender windows from the main window. Perhaps the render window could be an already "torn away" window, with the ability to dock it back in to the main window. The console could also be "docked" perhaps.

The IRC client X-Chat has a feature somewhat like this, it allows you to tear away areas of the UI in to their own window.

I do however imagine this would involve a lot of coding(?).

Come to think of it, I suppose this is what blender screens are for! :D

calcop

Re: separate gui windows

Post by calcop » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:59 am

Am I wrong or did you find out how to do it with the picture you included?
jm wrote:hi

as I'am working in Blender so I realy like work in fullscreen mode with one 3D window. so Am thinking if there could be possibylity to allow useres unjoit some part of gui window.
A have two monitors so maybe for people which have same equipment it would be helpful if they (we) can unjoint button window, material win., logic.. to the second monitor or something like that.
jm

z3r0_d

Re: separate gui windows

Post by z3r0_d » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:55 am

calcop wrote:Am I wrong or did you find out how to do it with the picture you included?
jm wrote:hi

http://nmedia.avu.cz/~mucska/blender/unjoint.jpg
jm
looks like blender is running 3 times

celeriac

No no no!

Post by celeriac » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:27 am

No! Non-overlapping windows in Blender is one of its strongest features. Don't mess with it! Overlapping windows are a pointless waste of space and time - a hangover from when early interfaces tried, pointlessly, to simulate paper.