On Exit: Do you want to save?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malCanDo

On Exit: Do you want to save?

Post by malCanDo » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:16 pm

If the undo stack isn't empty ( ie the user has actually done something to change the scene ), and they go to quit Blender, how about popping up a 'Do you want to save the scene? [Yes] [No] [Cancel] ' dialog box?

I've been caught out with this more than once recently by accident.
Mal

GusM

Post by GusM » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:43 pm

Yes, I agree: it is a standar feature today, and a very usefull. Please... :)

Gustavo Muñoz

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:16 pm

The undo stack is always dumped to the quit.blend file on exit, so you can always do a Restore Last Session (in the file menu) if you quit by accident.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

gabio

Post by gabio » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:50 pm

if you'r on windows and didn't set you temps directoy, this will never work though.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:13 pm

The old arguement on why this woudn't be possible, was that we would need undo first, so that it is able to detect if an action has been done.

So, maybe it could be done now? It is completely standard behavior, and is very useful. Even if it may store the undo stack in a file - it's another oddity to learn, and even then, it's a hassel to have to dig around to look for that one file, then open it, then resave it to correct position, and then carry on with your work. Besides, as gabio poits out, it doesn't even work on Windows...

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:48 am

Monkeyboi wrote:it's a hassel to have to dig around to look for that one file, then open it, then resave it to correct position.
That's the catch: "you don't have to!". There's a menu entry that does it perfectly fine for you. Except the saving back the file part, but the directory will default to the correct one, you just have to select the correct file.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

halibut

Post by halibut » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:54 pm

All other windows programs I have used ask before quitting when changes have been made. It is what people expect, especially new users.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:38 pm

halibut wrote:All other windows programs I have used ask before quitting when changes have been made. It is what people expect, especially new users.
blender isn't supposed to be what people expect

GusM

Post by GusM » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:19 pm

So, we will not expect it... But please, coders, build it up ;)

Regards,
Gustavo Muñoz

halibut

Post by halibut » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:24 am

z3r0_d wrote:
halibut wrote:All other windows programs I have used ask before quitting when changes have been made. It is what people expect, especially new users.
blender isn't supposed to be what people expect
This "mysterious" feeling surrounding blender is not a good thing. UI elements should do exactly what a user expects it to do before they click on it. They shouldn't have to sit there and wondering whether they are about to click a toggle button or a radio style button.

The bottom line is, when windows users click on the close button, many of them are expecting the program to ask to save. As it is, blender is not what some of them expect and as far as they know they have lost their work. Perhaps an option?

- sorry Ilac :p
Last edited by halibut on Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilac

Post by ilac » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:01 am

halibut wrote:The bottom line is, when windows users click on the close button, they are expecting the program to ask to save. As it is, blender is not what they expect and as far as they know they have lost their work.
Please don't put words in other peoples mouths. The only 'bottom line' is that YOU are not everyone so stop speaking for the rest of us 'windows' users. I love the fact that Blender just quits when I want it too. And please note that i use Blender daily at work so the possibility of 'losing' any work costs me/us a lot of time and money - yet it very, very rarely happens and I don't recall it ever happening because I closed Blender without saving.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:29 am

What would be a good thing.

It's not only windows that has this behaviour.

Mac (os 9, and X), some linux programs.

This is there in the extreme case you forget to save and hit alt+f4 too fast on the wrong window. :x

I believe everyone will benefit from such a feature.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:40 am

Yes, but as an option. I personally do like that blender doesn't ask anything :) When the the system is slow, and i want to free memory, i can just quit blender and be sure that it will quit imediately not like gimp or photoshop with their 25000 popup, 'do you really want to quit ?'

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:52 am

Well if you just saved, and did not other task after that, I see no reason why it would popup. Is it "optionnal" enough ?

lukep

Post by lukep » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:51 am

"File unsaved -- yes / no"

then

"Do you Want to quit ? -- yes / no"

then

"Are you sure you want to quit ? -- yes / no"

Sorry, i prefer the blender way, the work is never lost, and my time neither.

A "file unsaved" question is usefull if it's given only when a document is dirty, having unsaved changes (edit ones, not only movement of the UI). Unfortunately, this state is dificult to check in blender, while saving the doc to disc is blazing fast. That why it's done this way.

Nothing irks me more than a progs asking to save changes on an unchanged document (the worst in this aspect could be autocad).

Quit confirmation are usefull if the app takes ages to load and quit. blender can do it in the time you need to read the alert, so why slow things ?