Vertex/Edge/Face delete "functionality"

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:32 pm

Why do you have to confirm when deleting a vertex anyway(Theeths proposal)? Having one option is not an option :wink: Besides, now that we have proper undo functionality, we can just hit ctrl-z if we make a mistake, right?:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Kenden

Post by Kenden » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:53 pm

Bellorum: good point!;)

Matt, I looked a bit more at your proposal, at the option "Erase: Edge".

Description: "Should also automatically remove shared vertices in between selected edges".

I think this could be a problem with a mesh like the one in the picture below: if you delete the two selected edges and the shared vertex in between, you will delete all the faces at the top, which is probably not what you want (or is it?).

Image--->Image

So maybe a better rule could be:
Erase: Edges:
Should also automatically remove shared vertices in between selected edges if those vertices are shared with maximum one other edge.

tommy

Post by tommy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:48 pm

Kenden wrote: tommy, the extrude system is already implemented this way (different extrude options depending of the mode), so it seems logical to do the same with delete.
...exactly what I mean! :D - however, it would also be nice to have extrude vertex/edge similar to the Wings does it, as an option.

Another thing, before I go off on a tangent completely, it would be handy to be able to create objects on an object's surface - and no I don't mean turning DupliVert objects into real ones... (that's already available, or at least has been in a past release a few years ago).

theeth

Post by theeth » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:37 pm

Kenden wrote:Bellorum: good point!;)

Matt, I looked a bit more at your proposal, at the option "Erase: Edge".

Description: "Should also automatically remove shared vertices in between selected edges".

I think this could be a problem with a mesh like the one in the picture below: if you delete the two selected edges and the shared vertex in between, you will delete all the faces at the top, which is probably not what you want (or is it?).

Image--->Image

So maybe a better rule could be:
Erase: Edges:
Should also automatically remove shared vertices in between selected edges if those vertices are shared with maximum one other edge.
The deletion code when using the Edges option already takes care of that potential problem, so this is not really an issue. Thanks anyway. :)

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon