Rounded Corners for Headers

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

stratacator

Rounded Corners for Headers

Post by stratacator »

I may be the only one, but I don't seem to see the point of the headers of windows' having rounded corners, other than maybe helping to associate the header with its window. I think this is unnecessary, though, as it really only serves to complicate and clutter the interface more, not to mention probably whatever code is used to generate the interface. What do you guys think? I've worked up a "screenshot" to show you how a rounded-less UI would look. If enough people agree with me, it should probably be changed.

lightning

Post by lightning »

I agree. I can understand the buttons being rounded to show groups of buttons- I think this is an improvement- but the blender interface (IMHO) is becoming too complicated in areas that serve no real purpose. Please, change this feature back.

Or, at least, add an option.

later
The dawn of a new error...

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

> Or, at least, add an option.

Agreed.

Either...

a) have non-round theme use non-round panels ( as above ), and round theme use round panels, or

b) have a separate option for both rounding the buttons, and rounding the panels

a) is probably the easiest to implement, although I prefer b) myself, round buttons, with square window panels

Mal

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

An option is fine by me.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

i definitely agree.

I like the rounded buttons idea to show congruence, but the rounded windows are a waste of visual space and i think that we should get rid of them to clean up the view.

halibut

Post by halibut »

How about a rounded-radius? That might make for some more varied themes.

stratacator

Post by stratacator »

I'm really glad you guys agree. And I'm glad nobody seems to dissent. So, do we just wait and hope that one of the relevant developers sees this thread, or is there some sort of formal process to get this done?

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

download the source, find the code for it (good luck) and change it, make a patch (I have know idea how, but I think it is easy), and submit it to a official developer.

stratacator

Post by stratacator »

Oh my. Well, SamAdam, I guess it'd make for a good project over my winter break. And I do know a bit of C, and as I recall most of Blender is written in C. I'll give it a try if nobody else is willing to.

levon

Post by levon »

i dont mind the rounded buttons and etc, it all looks good for me :D and i realy dont see why if you dont like it, how it would annoy you that much, i mean come on, do you spend most of your time staring at the headers?? :P

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

I vote to keep them in, and not to waste time with silly things ;)
I guess if a coder wants to make a non rounded header "theme" there's no harm, but it seems like a strange thing to pick on.

stratacator

Post by stratacator »

I don't mind the rounded buttons either. In fact, I prefer the rounded them to the default theme, and I am anxiously awaiting the UI redesign in the works, which includes rounded elements. However, the header rounding does not serve as much of a purpose as the button rounding, and it seems to me to be less well executed. Of course I'm not spending all my time staring at the headers, but I can't help but be distracted, even if ever so slightly, by the rounded headers.

Furthermore, as I've stated elsewhere, I think it's extremely important to present an attractive interface. This is one of the main reasons I use Mac OS X instead of Windows et al. Besides, I imagine blender's first interface could be made to be as functional as the current interface, but which would you prefer? My guess is the current, more attractive one.

At any rate, the developers should be able to work on the portion of the program of their choosing.

celeriac

Post by celeriac »

I like the rounded buttons too. I don't mind the rounded panel corners but i can see why they might annoy.