I'm having boolian problems!

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bannerboy

I'm having boolian problems!

Post by bannerboy »

Ok, here's the deal, I'm making a chess set, and when trying to make the rook, I made the profile, and was then going to cut out the parts of the top using boolian operations. Every time I try it tells me "an internal error occored -- sorry!" what might I be doing wrong, or is this a bug? also, the other day, "difference", and "union" were switched arround in the menu, "difference" gave me the union, and "union" gave me the difference.

tommy

Post by tommy »

Don't use booleans if you really don't have to. They haven't been touched for a while now, but if you start begging now they might be improved in the next release (I'm guessing it would be 2.37). If using booleans is not crucial or if you are planning on using subsurfs, model the shape manually.

Plus, if you want to be original, modelling a chess set may not be the best idea... :wink:

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

i second that.

but if you look in the testing builds forum you will find at least one build that included updated booleans. you can download that one, do your booleans in it, and then open it back up in the recent blender.

tommy

Post by tommy »

SamAdam wrote:updated booleans
I've heard about that... are there any mockups / real screens that can be found on this somewhere? (@ home I still have 56k, so I want to know if that particular build would be worth downloading...)

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy »

OK, I've ditched boolians, they make a mess of subsurfacing anyway, tho they were helpful for that slot in the top of the bissiop.

bertram

Post by bertram »

bannerboy wrote:[...]they were helpful for that slot in the top of the bissiop.
Have you been working with CSG in POVRay before?? :wink:

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy »

No, I've pracitly never touched povray