deleating from datablocks

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bannerboy

deleating from datablocks

Post by bannerboy » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:21 am

is there a way to completely remove something from a datablock?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:45 am

from a datablock?

... what?

there isn't a way to completely remove datablocks immedately, what you have to do is make them have no users, then save [unlinked datablocks aren't saved], then reload

this is weird with images it seems, and you also have to remove any fake users [actions by default have fake users] in the dataselect window...

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:41 am

Mabe it would be good to have a 'flush datablock' function in blender to avoid doing a save-reload.

Which is slow with large UV mapped textures loaded into memory-
Cam

gabio

Post by gabio » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:46 am

IMHO, this system coul duse of a rewrite. just to get a more dynamic data manager, which isn't limited to the usual data. so plugin could save linked data as well.
Anyway, i'm not gonna ask too much.

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:48 pm

ok, I'm confused, I hear everyone talking about the "dataselect" window and the "oops" window, but I can't find them!!!

could someone please tell me about all these undocumented windows that seem to be popping up all over the place.

halibut

Post by halibut » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:11 pm

bannerboy wrote:ok, I'm confused, I hear everyone talking about the "dataselect" window and the "oops" window, but I can't find them!!!

could someone please tell me about all these undocumented windows that seem to be popping up all over the place.
http://www.lsi.upc.es/~marc/Blender/blender2.html

This is just a small amount of information on it, but is all I could find.

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:35 pm

ideasman wrote:Mabe it would be good to have a 'flush datablock' function in blender to avoid doing a save-reload.

Which is slow with large UV mapped textures loaded into memory-
Cam
I think it must be hard to implement.
An "empty trash" was always very much needing in the NaN game making days. Specially for online blender files they needed to be a 'slim' as possible.
Save-load-save-load-save-load is just to silly. (And has 'packed file' issues)

There could be a discussion if 0 user objects are "in the bin" or not.
Another way to approache the objects is to get rid of the fake user system and make trash users. This would mean that 0 user objects get saved and reload but Trashed objects don't get saved, and get flushed on a "empty trash" function/button. Next to an object would be a trashcan, making the object a trashed object.