Feature request: variable edge creases

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mzungu

Feature request: variable edge creases

Post by mzungu » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:36 pm

Sorry if this has been requested before... I searched but didn't find anything on it.

During a recent project involving subsurf'd meshes I found that I wanted to gradually increase the crease "percentage" of a series of edges from one end of it to another. I had difficulty because each edge in the series could only have one setting for the length of the edge.

For example: if I have five edges (with six vertices) and I wanted a gradually increasing crease weight from 0% on the first to 100% on the last, I had to set each intermediate edge to an increasing weight like this:

.____.____.____.____.____.
-0%--25%--50%--75%--100%-

This caused a stepping effect in the subsurf that was difficult to "iron out" so to speak.

My request is that there be a way to set a gradually increased crease (either linear or "bezier"-controlled) on a mesh edge. Perhaps being able to weight vertices with a percentage instead? I have no idea as to how this is implemented from a programming perspective, but to have this flexibility in modeling would be great.

Any comments/thots/discussion is welcomed!

Thanks,
-mzungu

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 pm

What you mean is, the ability to animate a crease? Yeah, why not.
It'd be really nice if EVERY parameter was animatable, XSI style. In XSI there is not a single parameter that cannot be keyframed. Next to every toggle, number field, radio button etc, there is a little keyframe icon that lets you set a key in time.

mzungu

Post by mzungu » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:50 pm

Monkeyboi wrote:What you mean is, the ability to animate a crease?
No, not animated (tho that would be cool, too!) Just static crease variance from one end of an edge (vertex) to the other, controlled either linearly or variably (with a bezier-like setting - similar to the way IPO curves are now...)

I gave the example of a series of edges only as a situation where this would be useful.

(BTW, I gotta try that $500 XSI thing... if I only had that kinda cash lying around... sounds cool!)

-mzungu

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:48 am

what he is talking about is pretty comon in c4d or so.

there you can crease an face, an edge, or a vertex point. while in blender you can only crease an edge, so each points of an edge will have the same crease amount and what he wants is that the two points of an edge can have two different creasing settings!!!

that would be very usefull in deed!

claas

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:54 am

shift+e? [with one or more verts selected in edit mode and subsurf on]

mzungu

Post by mzungu » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:54 am

Maybe a pic to illustrate:

As you can see its quite a trick to achieve a smooth transition from high level crease to low or no crease...

-mzungu