displacing dupliverts

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

brianglass

displacing dupliverts

Post by brianglass » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm wondering if there is a way to cause a displacement map to displace dupliverted objects. I'd like to use a video texture to animate dupliverted objects. As far as I can tell there is no such feature.

Assuming there is no such feature, how difficult would it be to implement such a feature?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:03 pm

I think there is a script that makes an object always follow a 'floor' object beneath it. You could animate an invisible grid plane with RVKs or armatures. Only, come to think of it, this probably won't work with dupliverted objects.

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:03 am

As far as I know displacement is a render feature.
To move objects on a plane that has a displacement map blender would first need a "convert displacement map to poly every frame". And then a "constraint to face".
There is a "noise" button in edit mode that converts the luminance to height, so I guess all the code is there.

Letting the luminance of a pixel decide what height an object should have should not be hard for a python wizard.

Implementing a workflow for this in blender is another thing. I'd say you'd need a system where you could connect channels of one object to channels of another object.
Something like driven keys. But then with a pixel sampler. Maybe in 3.0 ?

This reply turned out very different from what I thought it would be, I'll press "submit" anyway.