Feature Idea:Snap vertexes to Spline Curve

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JA-forreal

Feature Idea:Snap vertexes to Spline Curve

Post by JA-forreal »

I was thinking up some more ideas along the lines of the features that we already have in Blender. I was using the Curve Deform feature and wondered if this concept could be used in other interactive ways in Edit mode to help us to quickly conform selected groups of vertexes or a "patch" of vertexes to a specific region of the mesh surface topology. With this feature we would be able to shape a curve to the profile of a mesh surface. Then we could select a group of vertexes or "patch" of vertexes and use the keyboard keys or a menu to call up the Snap to Curve feature. An input box could give us a selection of actions like,

-Snap along selected axis
-Snap along axis and maintain vertex spacing order
-Etc….

The vertexes would then move to conform to the shape of the curve. Maybe it is possible for a feature like this to have other properties like allowing the curve to deform the snapped vertexes as the curve is edited in its own mode.

I thought a feature like this could be useful for reshaping mesh surfaces for RVK targets, managing a mesh surface for better weight painting deformation with Armatures, and more….

Imagine if we had multiple curves assigned to a mesh surface like this for deformation purposes. That would be useful, eh? What if we could have a feature like this that made use of weight painting for more deformation control, hummmm? We could always use Hooks to scale and move things to tweak it on down a bit more.

Well, it’s just a thought…..

Blend on!

gabio

Post by gabio »

weird. i though of something similar rencently too...

joeri

Post by joeri »

Snaps help alot in creative modeling.
I'd like to see a more interactive way of snapping.
Example:
Turn face snap on, any object or vertex I'm moving around will behaive to the snapping rule. In this case the vertex will stay on a plane, any point closest to the cursor, but on the plane.
Example2:
Turn curve snap on, any object or vertex I'm moving around will behaive to the snapping rule. In this case case the vertex will stick to a curve, it can move on the curve, but will stay near the cursor. If the cursor is closer to another curve, the vertex will jump to that curve.
The list of snaps could be:
-snap to grid (selected object/vertex snaps to 3d grid )
-snap to vertex (selected object/vertex snaps to vertex of other object)
-snap to curve (selected object/vertex snaps to vertex of other object)
-snap to edge (selected object/vertex snaps to edge of other object)
-snap to sdsedge (selected object/vertex snaps to edge of sds object)
-snap to face (selected object/vertex snaps to face of other object)

Another nice thing would be "active snap", to glue an object or vertex to a moving object, example: boat to sea.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

We need Snaps. However, for the Curve feature I was pointing to the need for faster and more fexible ways of shaping a mesh. Other 3d apps have similar features and these really speed up the modeling process.