Another List of Improvements

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aligorith

Another List of Improvements

Post by aligorith »

Hi,

Here are a few things that might be neat in the upcoming version of Blender. Some of these I have seen, and liked from other forums. Here goes:

Pose Storage and Management
Although Blender has RVK's and Absolute-Vertex-Keys for storing poses or rather morph targets for a mesh, there is no way to do this for armatures. Yes, we have actions to store the poses of bones, but this is not too good for lipsync animation where you'd have to go back through your animation to find the keyframe for a particular mouthshape. Then why not use RVK's? too confusing, and requires IPO tinkering.

The best solution would be to have a standard way of accessing these poses. Using this interface to store them would also be great. The interface could either be a new window type full of user-assigned sliders, or another panel.

Additive? actions in NLA?
One of the serious defects of the NLA is that keyframes for bones in previous/lower actions are overrided by keyframes for the same bones in other actions. This behaviour should at least be changed to: if there is no previous keyframe for a bone, the keyframe in the lastest action should override/affect the position of the bone at that point in time and leading up to it. However, if there is a keyframe, then a combination of the two keyframes should be made.

The ability to add blank actions to the NLA, and make the last keyframe of each action hold until the end of the animation would also be great.

Make Geometry at Rendertime
Static Particles do it. This would make really decent hair generation/simulation possible. In fact, a patch to Static Particles making them only display a few key manipulatable guide hairs, but rendering the lot would be good. Then, to make static particles really useful, they should be be made not to use Halos, if a result other than semi-transparent light-coloured balls of fluff is obtained by applying a standard material, but rather a special type of material for them (e.g. Coloured objects that aren't dupliverts). Heck, one should also be able to assign them to meshes as materials are applied.

Well, the first two don't sound like much work. As soon as someone explains to me how to set keyframes for armatures using Python, I could possibly accomplish the first - for bones only.

Aligorith

aligorith

Post by aligorith »

Oh yes, here's one that I forgot:

Interactive Tutorials?
Although K3D is not much compared to Blender, one of its best features is its 'interactive' tutorials. These might be good for beginners, and might be more useful and more size efficient than the current video tutorials.

Basically, these would run inside Blender, with a description about what it is doing, what you press / click / drag, etc. The mouse would move around the
interface, and it would appear that some virtual user was doing a demonstration. Of course, there would be options to stop, pause, etc. I think that something similar (like a learning mode??) was discussed before.

The main change to Blender to allow for this to work might be some thingy that traps / distributes user actions to the rest of the program??

Aligorith

gendou

Post by gendou »

The automated "interactive" tutorials would definitely help people new to blender undestand its basic functionality. Helped me with K-3D, even though I don't use it, maybe when the animation tools get better.

-G