Default view is confusing to new users (Feature Request)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Yingster

Post by Yingster »

I am still kinda new to this and I still havn't learned all the hotkeys. But I have been with it enough to agree with you on the fact that a more user friendly start-up screen would be nice. I played with the Maya Personal Learning Edition for a while and I liked how it started up. I do like fobsta's screen with the text inserted. But keep the buttons in the same spot as they are now and place the text along the side.

I would insert a pic here but I don't know how. Could you tell me how to insert a picture? That way I can show you what I mean.

Thanks

joeri

Post by joeri »

To show us a picture on the forum you can use the [img] url [\img] tags.

Upload the image to your webspace, say http:\\www.yingster.com\images\example.png
Then show it to us with [img]http:\\www.yingster.com\images\example.png[\img]

Only where I used the \ it should be /

Milky

Post by Milky »

I think that a popup window or something similar to that would start the first time opening blender. It could have links to tutorials or something like that, like in Maya perhaps.

WinterDragon

Post by WinterDragon »

lukep wrote: history.

early 3D progs allowed only to work in the XY,YZ,ZX planes, and you viewed the result in the fourth.
Not quite. That's probably part of it. However, the main reason is that the 3-way view (top,side,front) is the only way to truly view and manipulate things using all three dimensions when using a 2D screen. You can see all three dimensions in the different views, along with overlapping dimensions, to give it context. Perspective/camera views are useful for for some things like previews, but generally aren't that helpful.

daboomonline

How about this?

Post by daboomonline »

How about this? Would this work?

moh taia

Post by moh taia »

How about this? Would this work?
yes i think this will be a great idea to say welcom to the new users

joeri

Post by joeri »

Whats wrong with the help pulldown?
The only thing I see wrong with it is people not using it, mostly because it involves reading. Why would they start using it if it's on a different place?

DonJasper

Post by DonJasper »

Listen, the interface (as I said in another thread somewhere else) is built with the same frame of mind as the cockpit of a jumbo jet. Newbies' need not apply - only those with XYZ training will be considered.

Put the opening graphic up is about like putting a pig in a tuxedo, or maybe it's lipstick?!? :D

I mean this with both sincerity and kindness. There should be included in the current package download a half-hour video introducing newbie users to the interface. User's with a background in 3D graphics may be able to skip over it, but users without a 3D graphic background not interested in investing the hour figuring out how to work the interface - should find some other 3D sandbox to play in.

If you're really nice - you'd point the non-dedicated part-time newbie to whatever other package would be their more appropriate choice and stop pretending to be the end-all do-all 3D package. Blender will still be here when they 'grow up' and become tall enough to ride the Blender ride and don't want to paddle around the kiddie end of the pool. **

Ah ha. You think you've caught me in a mistake: I said half hour video, and users investing an hour - it's because newbie's will have to pause the video while you figure it out. I think I spent more like two hours.

Dealing with the pig. First - is there any *real* interest in it, other than the aformentioned lipstick?

(1) Review the tutorials currently out there, making note of which features are shown in the interface but ignored in the tutorials. Make the options not available - so you don't have to ignore them. Usually they're buried deeper in the navigation tree, but in Blender's case have a different settings. 'Novice', 'Intermediate', 'Advanced'. I'd prefer something like 'Static 3D model', 'Animated 3D model', or whatever else people tend to use it for.

(2) Thin down the controller. Many people (usually younger than myself) can pick up a Nintendo controller and rock and roll. My nephew can clean my clock. Sure, but everyone uses the web, young and old alike. Mouse click: one.

Are there screams of agony I heard from the back room? Make Blender work without the middle button, or the mouse wheel? Only ONE mouse button? (snorts of derision about 'lack of commitment to 3D modeling' and 'get real' and 'Is he serious?'.) Maybe it's not possible to do 3D modeling without all sorts of wheels and buttons, in which case Blender is as easy as it can get.

(3) Thin down the 'context sensitive' stuff. You pick up a remote control and expect it to work. If you must have the remote control be in 'TV' mode or 'DVD' mode or 'Surround Sound' mode - at least have a screen or LED or something to clue in the user what mode the remote control thinks it's in.

When context cannot be removed - the mouse pointer should reflect what the current mode is. Second best would be some button/icon on the screen reflecting what mode Blender thinks it's in. And as a special treat - hide or gray out the options that don't apply in the current mode.
- - - - -
What works against this effort is the desire to hurry up and hang-on another feature or cool techno-flash. You gotta put in hard work - real effort - with no hope of anything 'new' or 'cool' to show. Seems to be a common thread with Open Source stuff and not limited to Blender alone.

** I'm not really serious, and I hope everyone knows that. The vast majority of us are just part-time dabblers in 3D, and sending them somewhere else would cause Blender to cease to exist.

stiv

Post by stiv »

the interface is built with the same frame of mind as the cockpit of a jumbo jet.
Tuxpaint is quite nice. And easy to use.

joeri

Post by joeri »

stiv wrote:
the interface is built with the same frame of mind as the cockpit of a jumbo jet.
Tuxpaint is quite nice. And easy to use.
Did any color correction with it lately?